Great Games No One Knows

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 29, '07, 6:36 pm

I'd say most people, haven't heard of the following: Dungeon Explorer, R-type, and Keith Courage in alpha zones, All for the Turbografx16. Dungeon explorer is a supremely fun game, where you get to choose your charcter from fighter, to elf, from warlock to princess, and lots of other fun characters, then you go on whatever quest you king instructs you to, while collecting magic and temporary stat boosters to level up and power you character to the end. R-type was a space shooter game were you go on and defeat the evil bydo, with powerful "Force" and wave cannons. It was remade for a few other systems as R-type Final. Extremely fun if your into blasting other aliens to pieces with an indestructible power, while being a challenging game. Keith Courage, though, I have to say was not very enjoyable for me. You go from being a boy with a small sword in the grassy plains to some battle suit in a death zone of firey death. You can go buy stuff or have your fortune told and I'm not entirely sure what the point ever was but you can get some enjoyment out of it, if you can manage to beat the bosses.

Then we have the Game Gear, (found in PS4's bookshelf, ironically) where our favorite game was Defenders of oasis, especially when the cartridge started to die and we got games that had never existed saved over our files with the most peculiar of items. The point of this game was I thought to save the princess or something. I never really got too far in it, but you get a small team and fight enemies. Not the most difficult game in the world, considering if you reset the game during a fight, it will be like the fight never happened. XD

MY friends have never even heard of a Sega Genesis though, save for one who has a family member who works with games and knows all of the systems. So I could include all of the games.

Here's a random game we got one a demo disc once, TELETUBBIES XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! It was absolutely pointless...nothing more than that.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby LordShibas » Thu Nov 29, '07, 10:10 pm

Keith Courage was awesome. Probably my favorite Turbografx 16 game. that and Ninja Spirit.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Fri Nov 30, '07, 12:02 am

I remember playing an R-Type on the NES. That was pretty fun. I should look it up sometime and play it again.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 30, '07, 12:38 am

I'm not sure if this game's well known or not, but I never heard it it until recently, so... Has anyone here ever played Little Samson for the NES?
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 30, '07, 4:44 am

I think I heard of Little Samson once. The name sounds vaguely familiar. I've never played it, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 30, '07, 6:24 am

It's pretty fun and unique, in my opinion. It doesn't have any dialogue, though, as it just shows little sprites with what's happening during cutscenes.

Anyhow, after going through each of the stages for the four playable characters, you can switch between them at any time. They each have their own special abilities, too.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Dec 25, '07, 1:51 pm

Hmm...I'd have to pick Zombies Ate my Neighbors (SNES/Genesis). It was by LucasArts in...1994, I think. The plot was simple enough: You choose between Zeke and Julie, two Horror movie fans, and go about saving the victims (Ie. Tourists, Soliders, Babies, Cheerleaders, etc.) from being killed by a small range of monsters, like Zombies (Obviously), Mummies, Sea Monsters, Chainsaw Maniacs (Complete with Jason's mask), Red Blobs, Axe-wielding Dolls, Giant Ants, a 50 Ft. tall baby, and a load of others.

Why do I care so much about the game? Because...It was funny as heck. The weaponary itself (Water guns with holy water, Soda cans used like grenades, Popsicles, Tomatoes, Silverware, Plates, Bazooka, Potions, etc.) added some charm and comedy to it, such as having a single thing of Silverware being able to kill a Werewolf down in no time (Bad joke, but it works.) The scenery and Level Titles almost scream 'B-movie!', but it's purposely done to do so. And while the graphics haven't aged well (They didn't look as great even when compared to games from back them), it's sometimes frustrating gameplay still holds it together.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Xellos » Thu Dec 27, '07, 7:42 pm

I have played LufIa: fortress of doom and his precuel, Lufia 2 : Rise of the Sinistrals, both for snes.
i not know a guy tha knows these games

"If I tell you that, my chief Shabranigudu will kill me, hehe"
Xellos
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby LordShibas » Fri Dec 28, '07, 12:43 am

I played the first Lufia. It was pretty good. I couldn't get into the second one for some reason.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 29, '07, 4:36 am

I tried one of the Lufia games back in the day, but couldn't get into it very much either. One day I'd like to try them again.

I remember reading about Zombies Ate my Neighbors, back in Nintendo Power I think. It sounded like a fun game that didn't take itself too seriously.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup