Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Google dumps Windows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 3, '10, 8:46 pm 
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ty-holes/1

Post subject: Re: Google dumps Windows
PostPosted: Thu Jun 3, '10, 11:17 pm 
I'm surprised that a big outfit like Google was even using Windows on their servers in the first place. Most places go with some form of Unix.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 4, '10, 4:04 am 
Google has dreams of grandure. I think they actually believe that one day they'll be able to make an OS of their own to challenge Windows. On the PC side I never see them being successful with such a vie for power, on the cell phone side though they're obviously beating out Microsoft with their Droid OS. Bu then, Windows Pocket PC for cell phones OS has always been exclusive to the most over priced cell phones imagineable.

Windows Server OS's are extremely simple to manage, which is likely why they'd been variants of it all these years. The real reason to ditch Windows Server OS now is nothing more than a gauntlet slap towards Microsoft to make it clear that from here on out they intent to be taken as serious competition.

At present, Google's newest version of Chrome is the most sophisticated web browser available for a PC. Though you'll only get a performance boost from using it if you have a multi-core CPU in your computer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 4, '10, 4:04 am 
Three out of the four major government agencies I've worked for use Windows vice UNIX. I haven't used UNIX at work since 2003!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 4, '10, 2:18 pm 
Really? Hm, maybe the server version of Windows has come farther than I thought. I suppose it's probably easier and quicker to use than Unix, so maybe that makes it spread more easily.

As for Google's attempt at an OS, I think they have a decent chance at being successful with that. If it works well and stands up to the security tests that it eventually get put to it, Google's OS could easily capture a good share of the market.

Of course the real challenge will be getting it onto new computers. They'll have to make it very attractive to computer distributors like Dell, many of whom likely already have exclusive contracts with Microsoft. If Google can't get their OS out as preinstalled software on newly purchased computers, they'll never have more than a marginal success rate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, '10, 8:55 pm 
Tweeg wrote:Google has dreams of grandure. I think they actually believe that one day they'll be able to make an OS of their own to challenge Windows.

I have to respectfully disagree with you, and side with Thoul's comment. Google is grandure; its search engine trumps all others, and Google offers many other cutting edge and sophisticated services (i.e., GoogleMaps, GoogleVoice, among others). As a company, they are growing quickly and they will only continue to impress. I only expect them to make an OS of their own, which I will fully support! :happy_marle:

Tweeg wrote:At present, Google's newest version of Chrome is the most sophisticated web browser available for a PC. Though you'll only get a performance boost from using it if you have a multi-core CPU in your computer.

Now this I agree with! ^^ I LOVE GoogleChrome and use it religiously (it's way better than Firefox).

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]