Best level design

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Best level design

Postby Thoul » Mon May 28, '07, 8:19 pm

Which game in the series do you think had the best level design, and why? PSI was unique with the first person perspective that gets everyone lost in the dungeons. The other games went with a more traditional top down perspective, but each had their own unique style in the layouts and visuals.

Overall, I enjoyed the level design in PSIV the most. It seemed like the most detailed and believable. I never could stand those wavy color changes in the last area, though. :lol:
Last edited by Thoul on Fri Oct 5, '07, 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Best level design

Postby Neithird » Tue May 29, '07, 7:05 pm

I would say PSI. It isn't much to look at, but those levels were a lot more challenging than any of the other games. Because it is so easy to get lost, they can be quite difficult.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Wing Eye » Thu Dec 2, '10, 6:22 pm

Phantasy Star 1, the mix of over-head and first person was so brilliant, more games need to mix it up like that.
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby Solar » Mon Dec 6, '10, 8:46 am

I think I'll go with PS1 as well. All the random people saying random things, who you meet in the dungeons, gets points too. :P
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Erpy » Thu Mar 31, '11, 4:03 pm

My personal preference in dungeons is to be able to JUST squeak by with my own sense of direction and memory (which isn't overly bad) without having to draw maps for every dungeon I enter.

PS1: Nice. Okay. The 3D perspective makes it easy to make basic dungeons still relatively challenging. Obviously, for technical reasons, the labyrinths eventually get mighty repetitive, but I won't hold that against the game. I think if the game had a spell or item that allowed you to see a partial top-down map of the dungeon (limited to...like a 3 or 4 square-radius around your party) that would have bumped the complexity from sometime-frustrating to absolutely perfect for me. Music was okay. The blips and bleeps don't do the actual songs justice. (though PS4 did) One thing I didn't like much...undetectable trapdoors.

PS2: Heh, when I entered Shure after beating PS1, I thought it was gonna be easier. Hooboy, that was a premature conclusion if there ever was one. The dungeons actually look pretty good with that overlay of pipes or clouds overhead. (though the pipes occasionally blocked walls from view) There's a fair bit of variety in the dungeons (not as much as PS4) though Noah didn't look at all like a spaceship. I also like the dungeon tunes a lot. What bugs me is the complexity. Occasionally taking the wrong turn and winding up at a dead end is all part of the game, but IF you're gonna follow the wrong turn and it takes like 10 minutes to reach a dead end, at least have a chest with a useful item as a consolation price. Some dungeons weren't too bad, but some others (Climatrol, Uzo Island, Ikuto...Good God, Ikuto) were downright crazy and took some time to figure out even WITH a map. I also didn't like the fact you had to cross a dungeon (even though the Crevice was fairly quick once you knew the right path) every time you wanted to visit the Esper Mansion.

PS3: I actually thought this was a step down. Several dungeon tunes were too repetitive for me and there was less variety in the actual dungeons, even the final-final dungeon part looking like an ordinary inter-dome techno passageway. I think the PS2 dungeons also looked slightly better. I did like the fact you could see down to the first floor from the second floor in the Climate Control Tower. Dungeon complexity was challenging at times, but less extreme than PS2.

PS4: The only gripe I had was that occasionally dungeon layout was too simple, though some of the later dungeons got better on that part. I wasn't fond of the seizure-inducing final dungeon theme though. Other than that, pure win. Dungeons looked awesome and again you could see floors below the one you were traversing, as well as the occasional sideshot when your party crossed a bridge. Plenty of variety in themes between dungeons too. Dungeon music too deserves mention...I wasn't too fond of the Rycross tower theme, but all the others, from the spooky cave music to the techno Beyond the Circuit and the PS1 remixes...top notch. (I personally would have liked to actually hear PS2's Advanced play in the Bioplant and have the PS1 Tower theme play in the Ladea Tower, but eh...nitpick) Even the techno dungeons had stuff like conveyors and platforms to keep things interesting. A few things that deserve special mention...making the Air Castle's basement mirror the PS1 version's layout (brilliant reference) and the Garuberk Tower as a whole (eyes as switches, oesophagus-like elevators, veins pulsating and the whole level contracting when opening a passage)...that level was just awesome. As far as level design itself goes, PS4 wins hands-down.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Mar 31, '11, 4:27 pm

PSI were the best, because they are challenging, innovative and were an important part of the gameplay.

PSII are well-designed, but their complexity, though challenging, make you feel almost as if the game was a roguelike, given the time you spend in the dungeons compared with the time you spend out of them.

PSIII and PSIV benefited from enhanced graphics, specially PSIV, but in both cases it looks like there are dungeons just for the sake of having dungeons. They are all pretty simple in design and don't add anything to the gaming experience.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Bragatyr » Tue May 24, '11, 12:06 am

Solar wrote:I think I'll go with PS1 as well. All the random people saying random things, who you meet in the dungeons, gets points too. :P

This is so true. I'd have to say IV, as far as my favorite level design, but PS I was so quirky and weird with all the bizarre people just hanging out in caves and monstrous dungeons with their enigmatic messages. I still think the lone Dezorian who gives you the bad advice in that one dungeon in PS I is the most villainous NPC in history. I raged enough trying to get through those PS I dungeons, I didn't need any help getting lost!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby JustMe » Mon Jun 20, '11, 10:55 pm

Erpy wrote:Several dungeon tunes were too repetitive for me and there was less variety in the actual dungeons, even the final-final dungeon part looking like an ordinary inter-dome techno passageway.

That was one of my biggest disappointments with Phantasy Star III :(
JustMe
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 28

Postby Ome_Joop » Wed Jun 22, '11, 4:55 pm

Cant really choose between ps1 or 2 so i guess i'll choose ps4! Im not a big fan of 3d dungeons and the dungeons of ps2 were simply to hard (hintbook although i now can dream those dungeons after all these years)
Ome_Joop
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 43

Return to Classic Series