Going Green: The End of Manuals

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: Going Green: The End of Manuals

Postby Wing Eye » Tue Oct 26, '10, 6:17 pm

I like having the physical manuals, the only way I would want them to get rid of the manuals is if the cost cutting of no manuals would in turn drop the price of new games, but we all know that would never happen.
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 26, '10, 6:39 pm

That's a good point. They should reduce the price of games if they remove manuals. The companies involved will no longer have to pay the publishing or shipping costs associated with the books. I'm sure you're right, though. The prices won't change, even though we're getting less in the case.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Jack Lias » Sun Nov 7, '10, 2:20 am

Instruction manuals are as much a part of video games as the games themselves. I like reading instruction manuals when I don't have access to my game consoles. In the never-ending effort to scramble over the competition and come up with "cutting-edge" concepts, we're going to end up with a market full of games that aren't worth playing.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Schala Zeal » Mon Nov 8, '10, 12:27 am

Atlinsmere wrote:Personally, I like the paper manuals. I always read them on my way home, getting myself pumped to play the game. Heck, I've read the manuals for about 80% of all my games. ^_^

Though I will say one thing, it is a smart move because now nobody will lose their manuals.

This.
To be honest, I have a hard time paying attention to virtual manuals and such, so I think it'd be more of a pain in the butt for me to deal with in-game manuals. Still, I can understand why they wouldn't want to print out millions of manuals when a good portion of them end up in landfills or something. :rofl:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Tanith » Tue Nov 9, '10, 10:21 pm

So... for those that like paper manuals, I guess you don't download many games or play online games?
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 9, '10, 11:14 pm

Speaking for myself, not many, no. I've downloaded a few things, some of which included digital manuals. In general, I found the digital manuals to be of inferior quality to printed ones. I'm sure there are some cases where that would be reversed, but I haven't found them yet.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Wed Nov 10, '10, 1:40 am

I'm not saying it's wrong to prefer printed manuals, I'm just surprised by the support for them in this thread. To me they're a pain to keep track of (Kids! I have kids!), they take up space (along with the game boxes, etc.) and the pdf versions (this goes for all sorts of manuals: appliances, electronics, etc.) are really handy.

The advent of downloading software and games and digital files is like a godsend for me. It's made my life so much more clutter-free. However, I can appreciate things still being in print. I still haven't gotten into book reader thingies like Nook and Kindle. It's only a matter of time before I convert, though. ;)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Jack Lias » Wed Nov 10, '10, 1:57 am

I treat game boxes and manuals like collector's items. I would never buy a game that didn't have a box or a manual. Well, the only exception to that is PSU. Hell, I've been looking for years for Tales of the Abyss for PS2. I finally found it at an EBGames store, but without a box or a manual. I walked away, sadly, without Tales of the Abyss.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Nov 20, '10, 9:41 pm

If I remember correctly, I think I've sold a few game manuals and empty game boxes, etc., on eBay at certain times over the years, and they sold pretty fast too! It was either second copies of manuals that I had for some reason or stuff like that that I either didn't want any more for some reason or whatever. So, if anyone is looking for anything like a manual or something like that, you might find one on eBay sometime. I was surprised that someone wanted to buy empty boxes, but ya never know!!! :wink:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby hugues » Mon Dec 27, '10, 4:16 am

Since every game seems to have tutorials built in it's been quite a while since I read a manual. Seriously, they're all like "Hey, you've found a sword! Press start to equip it and X to swing it at an enemy. And if you forget this there's an old man in town who will explain it all again."
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Previous

Return to Tech and Design