Godzilla vs Kong

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Re: Godzilla vs Kong

Postby myau56 » Sun May 23, '21, 1:32 pm

What a fight it'll be !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun May 23, '21, 9:10 pm

This movie comes out on DVD on June 15, 2021.

Looking forward to seeing it.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Mon May 24, '21, 11:48 am

When you do finally see it SS, please let us know your honest opinion.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jun 5, '21, 9:37 pm

Darkil wrote:When you do finally see it SS, please let us know your honest opinion.

Darkil, I certainly will let you know what I think of it after I have watched it. I hope it meets expectations but I don't know.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Sun Jun 6, '21, 11:40 am

Yes ! Hopes it'll meet expectations ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 16, '21, 10:01 pm

Well, I got my DVD of this movie and finally had a chance to watch it last night. In my opinion, it was okay, but I had hoped for so much more and was a bit disappointed. I understand better now what some of you meant in the posts above regarding the movie.

I had forgotten that actor Kyle Chandler ("Early Edition", "Friday Night Lights", etc.) was in this movie and really looked forward to seeing him, but was disappointed that he had very few scenes in the movie and basically of very little substance.

The only parts of the movie I really liked where the fights with Godzilla, Kong, and then later when MegaGodzilla joined them. I liked the interaction between the little girl and Kong. I still do not like the new Godzilla. The old version was much better, imho. I could say more but will stop now as I don't want to say too much just in case someone still hasn't seen the movie. I think there were a lot of opportunities with this movie with both Godzilla and Kong, but sadly those opportunities were not used.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Darkil » Thu Jun 17, '21, 12:33 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Well, I got my DVD of this movie and finally had a chance to watch it last night. In my opinion, it was okay, but I had hoped for so much more and was a bit disappointed. I understand better now what some of you meant in the posts above regarding the movie.

I had forgotten that actor Kyle Chandler ("Early Edition", "Friday Night Lights", etc.) was in this movie and really looked forward to seeing him, but was disappointed that he had very few scenes in the movie and basically of very little substance.

The only parts of the movie I really liked where the fights with Godzilla, Kong, and then later when MegaGodzilla joined them. I liked the interaction between the little girl and Kong. I still do not like the new Godzilla. The old version was much better, imho. I could say more but will stop now as I don't want to say too much just in case someone still hasn't seen the movie. I think there were a lot of opportunities with this movie with both Godzilla and Kong, but sadly those opportunities were not used.

S_S thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us!

I still love the old Godzilla from the 60's (rubber suit ftw!), but I am a fan of this particular one since it's more close to the story I grew up on. I do like how they fit MechaGodzilla in the movie without it feeling forced and I was rather pleased that my original theory was correct a few years ago. I theorized after the second Godzilla movie that Kong and Godzilla would meet, fight and have to team up to defeat King Ghidorah which was true albeit it was King Ghidorah's consciousness inside of MecaGodzilla (so that might make him Mecha King Ghidorah??) instead of the beast regenerating or what have you.

I appreciated the fights with Godzilla and Kong as they didn't disappoint and I realize part of the story in all this is how humans interact with the monsters, but I personally felt like they forced Millie Bobby Brown's character in too much, as most of the internet has mentioned too. I didn't really care for her character at all and she rarely interacted with the monsters.

All in all it was a fun movie and I look forward to more of these in the future.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jun 17, '21, 1:01 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Well, I got my DVD of this movie and finally had a chance to watch it last night. In my opinion, it was okay, but I had hoped for so much more and was a bit disappointed.

Yeah, in a lot of ways, this is me. I still enjoyed it despite my issues and how well I predicted the plot (I kinda saw MechaG coming a long time ago), and TBF, I felt similarly about Kong: Skull Island at first, but enjoyed it more on subsequent viewings. So maybe it'll be the same for this. Didn't stop me getting the DVD/blu-ray as well (mostly for sharing purposes - lending it out, screensharing online, especially on discord servers, and having a copy at school). Also didn't stop me getting all 4 Monsterverse movies digitally on Apple TV for home viewing, and on that, all 4 movies are in 4K. Works perfectly as we do have a 4K TV.

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I still do not like the new Godzilla. The old version was much better, imho

I think you mean "older versions." :wink: Big G has had so many distinct iterations at this point, and that's one of the things I like about the character. So many versions, that often, if a person doesn't like one version/movie, there's another version/movie that person does like. Personally, at first, I didn't care for Legendary's take on Godzilla (especially the visual design), but it has really grown on me over time and become one of my favorite iterations of Godzilla. IMO, it's a western take that is quite different and distinct from any of the Japanese versions, but understands what makes Godzilla Godzilla. It pays proper respect and homage to the roots of the character, and is still distinctly Godzilla...unlike the 1998 western attempt. I tend to like Godzilla best when he's depicted as a force of nature that's generally ambivalent towards humans at baseline, and once I saw the first Legendary movie (was a bit late to the party on that) and saw that was what they were going for, I appreciated their take on the character a lot more. I'll definitely take this version over the mid-late 60s/early 70s (basically Astro-Monster through vs. Megalon) goofball hero version any day (it's my least favorite iteration of the character), but at the same time, I will never begrudge anyone for having a different opinion from me on this (am I internetting wrong?)

Also, with how much I do enjoy these movies, it gives me hope for the Dune movie later this year, which the same studio is doing. My brother and dad are looking forward to that.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Jun 17, '21, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jun 30, '22, 6:28 pm

A sequel is coming in the "Godzilla vs Kong" movies. Hopefully due out in 2024:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/n ... a5be5453a8

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Fri Jul 1, '22, 12:26 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:A sequel is coming in the "Godzilla vs Kong" movies. Hopefully due out in 2024:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/n ... a5be5453a8
This sequel is a good news ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Previous

Return to Feature Films