Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (1956)

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (1956)

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Feb 5, '17, 12:23 am

The first Godzilla movie, "Godzilla: King Of The Monsters" made in 1956 is on tv tonight on the Svengoolie show on MeTv channel. It starts here at 10 p.m., but check your local listings for times and dates in your area, etc.

The MeTV website says this begins Godzilla month. Not sure what that means, whether they will have more Godzilla movies on later, or what.

Just thought Godzilla fans might like to know.

http://svengoolie.com/?p=13443

So, I imagine almost everyone has seen this movie before since it has been out since 1956, but it is a classic Godzilla film. What does everyone think of this movie and this Godzilla?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (1956)

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 5, '17, 4:14 pm

I'm shameful but I've never watched any Godzilla movie ! :( (I speak about the japanese versions of course ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Feb 5, '17, 7:43 pm

Hope you get to see it some time myau56! It is a classic and good movie.

Svengoolie talked a lot about the history of the movie during the commercial breaks and I learned a lot about the film and the actors that I did not know before.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 6, '17, 11:59 am

Happy that you have learned a lot about it during those breaks ! And I hope one day to see one of them :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 18, '17, 5:41 pm

The Japanese version of the original is definitely a classic. I mean it basically kick started the genre. The Americanized version is...ok, but it honestly removes most of the deeper elements and original intent and meaning of the Japanese version of the film. It's a very scrubbed and dumbed down version of the movie, IMO. It's entertaining in its own right, but watch the Japanese version is superior.

And after that there are some good Godzilla films (Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, GMK, Godzilla vs. Mother 60s spring to mind for me) and some real stinkers (most of the 60s, for examples). I found out about a book about making of the original that I want to read sometime. There's at least one copy available through my library but I haven't checked it out yet.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun Mar 19, '17, 12:32 pm

It's the first Godzilla in Japan ? So if one day I'm going to watch a Godzilla movie, It'll be this one ! Better to start with the original one, and in original language if possible ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Mar 19, '17, 4:20 pm

The American version of the original is basically a completely different film just using some footage from the original Japanese version. It's kind of hard to explain. Long story short, see the Japanese version first.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 20, '17, 11:59 am

Wolf Bird wrote:The American version of the original is basically a completely different film just using some footage from the original Japanese version. It's kind of hard to explain. Long story short, see the Japanese version first.

I'll try to do in this order ! I think I understand about the american version ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to Feature Films