Godzilla games

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Godzilla games

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 6, '07, 9:58 am

Has anyone ever found a really enjoyable game featuring Godzilla? I've always wanted to control him as he stomps through a city and wrecks havoc on power lines and buildings. :lol: I remember playing one game on the NES, but it more of a platformer when monsters going through space or alien planets, as I recall.

I saw a PlayStation 2 game at a GameStop a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone played it? I'm wondering what it's like.
Last edited by Thoul on Tue Oct 9, '07, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sat Oct 6, '07, 7:42 pm

I liked the NES one, though I'm not very good at it... However, I'd recommend Super Godzilla for the SNES -- it's a little different as far as the general gameplay goes (you control Godzilla as he walks through cities and looks for the enemy...generally, you press a direction and he keeps going that way and smashing through buildings will kill your overall score and injure Godzilla), but I enjoyed the fighting in that game. (which is similar to the NES Godzilla game to some degree)

If the PS2 game is the one I'm thinking of, then it's actually pretty fun. (my older brother bought it!) You can smash up buildings, fight the 2nd player or computer, face off against enemy after enemy, etc.. I haven't played it much, but the one time I tried it, it was pretty fun. Lots of modes to choose from, too, from what I recall.

EDIT: I should probably elaborate on how the battles are played out in the SNES game. You go forward, whack the enemy, and then you keep walking back until you can select an attack (however, this process is random). You can also use power-ups to make Godzilla stronger, too. Not too hard, but with some enemies it's kinda tricky... As some attacks won't even work!
Last edited by Tsunami on Sun Oct 7, '07, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Oct 7, '07, 3:01 am

I didn't ever play one, but that it damages Godzilla to stomp buildings makes me think of an interesting issue: games that are more fun when you do what you're not supposed to! It sounds like more fun to stomp buildings, imo.

Here's an example: in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I got stumped in the dungeon where you had to raise the water level, (I didn't turn the camera down, stupid camera buttons!) so I developed a hatred of Link, and found it humorous to ram him into trees... :twisted: that was a minor frustration relief. A better example is saving the game in Fallout 2, and since you can kill anyone in the game, go on a rampage. Though the makers of that game accounted for that, and you get some hilarious comments in the game text when you go psycho.

I guess all of the ones I can think of are frustration related: starting a new level on co-op campaign mode of Halo and starting a mortal combat between the players, cpu allies included... the Master Chief can die in some pretty hilarious ways, (kill him while falling). Any other frustration releases?
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 8, '07, 9:01 am

I never played the SNES game, but I might give it a try sometime. Although, if you can't smash up buildings freely, it just doesn't sound quite like the King of Monsters to me. ;) I shouldn't knock until I try it, though.

If the PS2 game is the one I'm thinking of, then it's actually pretty fun. (my older brother bought it!) You can smash up buildings, fight the 2nd player or computer, face off against enemy after enemy, etc.. I haven't played it much, but the one time I tried it, it was pretty fun. Lots of modes to choose from, too, from what I recall.

That sounds like what I remember reading on the back of the box. I'll have to look into it some more. I also remember hearing about an upcoming game, "Godzilla: Unleashed" that sounds similar to that. I think it might be a Wii game, though.

Here's an example: in Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I got stumped in the dungeon where you had to raise the water level, (I didn't turn the camera down, stupid camera buttons!) so I developed a hatred of Link, and found it humorous to ram him into trees... :twisted: that was a minor frustration relief.

Ah, but ramming him into trees is half the fun! They hide treasures in the trees, you know. ;)

My most memorable frustrated gaming moment was from Zelda: A Link to the Past. I was randomly slashing Link's sword around one day and discovered a hidden enemy that turned out to be a game glitch! I think I might have been the first person to ever find it, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Oct 9, '07, 12:49 am

Thoul wrote:Ah, but ramming him into trees is half the fun! They hide treasures in the trees, you know. ;)
:mrgreen: That's right, I'd forgotten about the treasure in the trees. Did you ever find all the heart containers in a Zelda game without assistance? I never could get him over 80% health in just about all the Zelda series... :link:

My most memorable frustrated gaming moment was from Zelda: A Link to the Past. I was randomly slashing Link's sword around one day and discovered a hidden enemy that turned out to be a game glitch! I think I might have been the first person to ever find it, too.
I remember doing some grass cutting myself, but I certainly didn't ever find anything like that! :o
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Tsunami » Tue Oct 9, '07, 12:38 pm

The $ Avenger wrote:
Thoul wrote:Ah, but ramming him into trees is half the fun! They hide treasures in the trees, you know. ;)
:mrgreen: That's right, I'd forgotten about the treasure in the trees. Did you ever find all the heart containers in a Zelda game without assistance? I never could get him over 80% health in just about all the Zelda series... :link:

I've only played the first Zelda and A Link to the Past. I did get all the hearts in those, too. :mrgreen:

If you ask me, ALTTP was pretty easy, though... The last time I played through, I tried playing without stopping/dying since I always had some number at the end when you finish a game, even if you don't die! (I've come to the conclusion that it's for the number of times you turn it off, and possibly adds the number you die too, but I'm not sure)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 9, '07, 4:20 pm

I don't think I've ever found every single Heart Container in any of the Zelda games without some help. I can usually find all but one or two, but at the end I have to look up a guide for that last one.

LttP can be pretty challenging the first time you play it. Back in the day, it had me stumped once or twice. But after you've gone through it once it is pretty easy. The last time I played it, I finished very quickly.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Oct 10, '07, 1:23 am

Tsunami wrote:If you ask me, ALTTP was pretty easy, though... The last time I played through, I tried playing without stopping/dying since I always had some number at the end when you finish a game, even if you don't die! (I've come to the conclusion that it's for the number of times you turn it off, and possibly adds the number you die too, but I'm not sure)
That's an interesting challenge! They ought to give you something for completing it on one try! I liked the first Zelda where the map got reshuffled if you replayed the game. More games need features like that! :yes:

Thoul wrote:LttP can be pretty challenging the first time you play it. Back in the day, it had me stumped once or twice. But after you've gone through it once it is pretty easy. The last time I played it, I finished very quickly.
Agreed. I couldn't find the way into one of the dungeons in the forest in the second world, but once I did the other playthroughs were very quick!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Tsunami » Wed Oct 10, '07, 10:27 am

The $ Avenger wrote:
Tsunami wrote:If you ask me, ALTTP was pretty easy, though... The last time I played through, I tried playing without stopping/dying since I always had some number at the end when you finish a game, even if you don't die! (I've come to the conclusion that it's for the number of times you turn it off, and possibly adds the number you die too, but I'm not sure)
That's an interesting challenge! They ought to give you something for completing it on one try! I liked the first Zelda where the map got reshuffled if you replayed the game. More games need features like that! :yes:

I didn't finish it on that try, either. I'll give it another go when I'm in the mood to play it. :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Oct 11, '07, 12:20 am

Tsunami wrote:I didn't finish it on that try, either. I'll give it another go when I'm in the mood to play it. :D
I wonder how long it takes to play that game now. It felt really long when I was younger since I played so many different games at once. Someone's probably got an insane speed run of it nowadays! :D
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Return to General Gaming