Paper versus Plastic

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Paper or Plastic

Yes - Paper is much better than plastic.
17%
No - Paper is not as good as plastic.
No votes
Undecided - can't make up my mind.
33%
Don't Care either way - whatever!
50%
Other - explain in post below
No votes

Total votes : 6

Paper versus Plastic

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 20, '07, 9:03 pm

Some grocery stores and other stores are now banning plastic bags, and using paper bags instead. It wasn't all that long ago that everyone stopped using paper bags and switched to plastic. I don't know if it was for the convenience or something else. I guess the issue relates to biodegradable substances or something. I think plastic was also recyclable or reusable. They both had good, and bad, advantage points, if you think about it.

So, what do you think - should stores use Plastic Bags or Paper Bags? Which do you prefer to use?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 20, '07, 10:53 pm

lol, I didn't know that, funny, really. I like paper for drawing but I always use plastic bags for anything useful.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 11:37 pm

:roll: I remember when there was a massive outcry against paper bags because of recyclables. Both are just as good as the other to me, but I just wish the stores would make up their minds one way or the other.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rudo » Wed Nov 21, '07, 6:11 am

I don't really care. They both have their advantages and their disadvantages. A bag is a bag, sheesh! :roll:
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby Neithird » Wed Nov 21, '07, 9:15 pm

It's all about the environment. People had a problem with paper bags because they weren't recyclable or biodegradable, so plastic became a big push. I guess someone finally realized that a large number of people don't care about recycling, so it doesn't matter if either form is recyclable.

Overall, I'd rather have paper bags that can degrade over time. They hold more stuff, too.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Casual Conversation