Generations

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

Generations

Postby Neithird » Thu Mar 29, '07, 6:48 pm

Has anyone here actually played the remakes, PS: Generation 1 and PS: Generation 2? I probably never will (unless they do get translated), so I'm curious as to what it is like and if it's worth getting when/if it ever does come out.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: Generations

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 29, '07, 7:48 pm

I've played a little bit of them. They're pretty much the same games as the originals, but with updated visuals and a few of PSIV's features like the Talk function to make the party members hold a conversation. Overall, Generation 1 is a very good update to PSI (at least, what I've played of it).

The character designs in Generation II look terrible IMO. The battles and walking around look great, but the people looked better in the original.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Jun 10, '07, 12:50 am

I considered importing them for a bit, but the language barrier is just too great for me. I'd love to play them, but I agree some of the character designs are just awful, Odin anyone? These games definitely deserve some remakes. Hopefully Sega will revive the idea any bring them all over here.

I think PSIII would be an awesome remake if they expanded on the story of the game and had character interactions a la PSIV. The Generations concept was a great one imo. The game just needed more character development!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Neithird » Sun Jun 10, '07, 8:23 pm

Odin definitely got the short end of the redesign stick. At least he doesn't look as bad as he did in the first beta screens released. I saw some of those recently, with the characters all in an SD look. Odin's hair was about half as tall as Odin himself! :rofl:

PS3 would be such a cool remake if they took the time to fully develop all the characters and backstory. That would be really amazing!
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jun 11, '07, 3:03 am

The Komrade wrote:I considered importing them for a bit, but the language barrier is just too great for me. I'd love to play them, but I agree some of the character designs are just awful, Odin anyone? These games definitely deserve some remakes. Hopefully Sega will revive the idea any bring them all over here.

I think PSIII would be an awesome remake if they expanded on the story of the game and had character interactions a la PSIV. The Generations concept was a great one imo. The game just needed more character development!

I totally agree about the character designs. I hated how they made Nei wear frilly things, and Rudo did look pretty bad...reminded me of a bad Elvis impersonator. In my opinion, the only character who looked better in PSII was Hugh.

As for PSIII, it's doable, and there was once a fan remake in the works. It looked promising, even if it was being made with (I believe) RPG Maker 2000.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jun 12, '07, 12:13 am

Tsunami wrote:Rudo did look pretty bad...reminded me of a bad Elvis impersonator.

:rofl: That's a perfect description!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jun 12, '07, 2:33 am

Thanks. :D I'm happy that someone agrees~!

Everytime I see him, I picture him saying something like, "Heeey pretty mama! How about you and I..." *gets smacked by Anna*

... Maybe I should make a comic based off that... :hmm:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Tue Jun 12, '07, 9:44 pm

I just saw the Generation 2 designs for the first time the other day. What a terrible look! Rolf looks okay in his ending screen, but otherwise... ugh. And poor Nei! She looks like someone bent her ears :pan: and they never went back to their real shape.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jun 12, '07, 11:27 pm

:lol: @ :pan:

The Generation 1 Odin and Generation 2 Rudo look like they're about to go clubbing.... and Rolf went from serious/brooding to kind of weak and girly with that smile. If anyone should be scowling in PSII, it's got to be Rolf!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 13, '07, 8:32 pm

I have to say, the first time I saw the new Rudo, my first thought was something like "why is there is blond Elvis in my Phantasy Star?" :lol:

I thought Shir's design was pretty good, but it's also not much different than the original. Anna is the one that bugs me the most. She looks like half of her hair was removed. Maybe that's where Odin and Rudo got so much? :?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to Other Classics