Katie Couric show and violent video games

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Katie Couric show and violent video games

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat May 4, '13, 11:43 pm

Well, it looks like current talk show host Katie Couric (formerly of "The Today Show") had a very interesting topic of conversation on one of her recent talk show epsidoes and other discussions having to do with violent video games. Check this out:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/blo ... f5839dd4dc

So, what's your opinon on all this? Do you think playing violent video games make people become violent or more violent also???
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Sat May 4, '13, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Katie Couric show and violent video games

Postby R-90-2 » Sun May 5, '13, 12:55 pm

Doubtful. Not just because pretty much any reputable study on he subect says otherwise, but because this is just another in a long line of "(x new and popular thing) is ruining our (youth/society)", much how like The Rite of Spring/Jazz/rock/metal/Dungeons and Dragons/Rap/etc. were before.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Re: Katie Couric show and violent video games

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun May 5, '13, 2:14 pm

It's always easier to blame some boogeyman for problems in society, such as things that are popular at the time, like video games, than it is to actually examine society's system, why we're getting the outputs we're getting (like street violence) and fix areas of dysfunction. There hasn't been credible science linking video games, violent TV, rock and roll, heavy metal, D&D, etc. to violent behavior. It's just journalists seeking attention and playing the blame game, instead of doing good journalism - actually investigating and issue for a real cause and effect.

As for positives of gaming...is just simple enjoyment not enough? Recreation? Stress relief? Enjoying the game's story? Bonding with other people? I hate it when people try to claim video games are 'pointless'. When someone says that to me, I like to ask if they watch any TV series or follow any sports, and what's the point of that? The answer I get is almost always the same as the list I wrote above, and I say 'yeah, that's why I play video games'. Usually ends the argument. We just simply enjoy different things.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun May 5, '13, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to In the News