Gas prices

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Gas prices

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Feb 27, '11, 1:47 am

Wow, I envy you all! My country is a petroleum exporter. Even so, the gas gallon is a whopping US$7,00!
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Feb 27, '11, 2:33 pm

This is when toiling on a bike, even in winter, is worth it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Mar 1, '11, 2:59 am

Read an interesting article today about a company that claims they can produce fuel another way:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110227/ap_ ... owing_fuel

I don't know if this will work, or not, but it's an interesting conception.

If gas prices continue to get higher and higher then alternative methods may be highly sought after.

Comments or Opinions??

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 1, '11, 1:27 pm

Pretty amazing where real, legitimate science can go. This may have some promise, if it can work when scaled up a bit. I'd also like to see that peer-reviewed paper the article referred to.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 1, '11, 6:54 pm

I hope that is successful. It would certainly be a boon to many areas of the industry. Not only could we reduce reliance on petroleum from outside sources, but it could create some new jobs. Someone will have to maintain those facilities and gather up the excreted fuel.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Mar 1, '11, 10:15 pm

If they can really do it, it will be great. Though I'm less than excited with alternative energy when talking about prices. Here in Brazil, ethanol is largely used, but when it comes down to pricing, a "curious" effect happens:

Here, many of the newer cars have motors that can be powered either by gas or by ethanol (also by any mixture of these two). Because of the lower mileage of the ethanol, they say it is worthy to refuel with ethanol when the ethanol price is less than 70% of the gas price and that it is worthy to refuel with gas when ethanol price is over 75% of the gas price. "Magically", the price of the ethanol usually ranges from 70% to 75% of the gas price.

Ethanol is renewable, generates less greenhouse gases, is supposed to be cheaper, but they managed to screw up everything.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 2, '11, 12:16 am

Yeah, that's something that concerns me with any source of alternate energy. They always say it will be cheaper to produce, but that too often means the same costs for consumers with bigger profit margins for company executives. Those lower production costs don't get passed on the consumer often enough.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Celeith » Mon Mar 7, '11, 5:18 am

We're looking at 3.39 for has here right now..
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 7, '11, 11:18 pm

This weekend I noticed gas was up to around $3.45 here, and still getting higher every day it seems.

I heard on the radio that the Federal Government might get involved regarding the high gas prices, and also that they are thinking of opening up the gas reserves, etc. to help out.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 7, '11, 11:29 pm

It's about $3.39 at the lowest in this area, but some places have gone up to $3.43. About $3.50 seems to be the state average.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation