Devil May Cry Reboot

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Devil May Cry Reboot

Postby Solar » Sat Oct 2, '10, 7:18 am

Already discussed this in the shoutbox, but figured why not make a topic.

Here's the trailer. youtube.com/watch?v=R_pf-wpLI9o&fea ... re=related

I'm not gonna go in to details about how horrible that trailer is, despite obviously being a DMC fan. I really have no idea why Capcom would give DMC in the hands of a western developer who apparently haven't the slightest thought of what the fans want.

Yeah, reboot. It seems to be a fashion in videogame industry today. That's something that really makes me mad. The idea makes no sense, especially when it's a well-known series. The reboot title gets the EXACT name as the very first game in the franchise had, and generally overrules everything that's been done in the previous titles.

To name a few other reboots: Prince of Persia, Medal of Honor, Sonic the Hedgehog. Castlevania is apparently rebooting too with Lords of Shadow, but notice the difference. They have "Lords of Shadow" in the title, instead of just being "Castlevania."

Talk about it.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Re: Devil May Cry Reboot

Postby xellos667 » Sat Oct 2, '10, 2:40 pm

I'll be totally unoriginal, and just say what everyone is saying. But unfortunately it's true

I HATE DANTE NEW DESIGN!!!

Talk about how to destroy a series. Sure 2 and 4 were not the crowd favorite, but at least they were taking place in the same universe. I'm indeed tired of all those reboot. If you want to reboot something, just start a new series instead of riding on the success of a "name". Of course, we have not seen any gameplay trailer, and the game could be a blast...BUT, DMC was always also about being really stylish, with a character who was himself the very definition of style. I'm sorry, but this new Dante have lost all the charisma of the old one. And if I can't appreciate the character I'm playing with, it may be stupid, but I'll sure hell won't find it as cool to do all those stylish moves...

*end of my rant*

It's crazy how a redesign of a character can make everyone go riot...but I guess that with Dante, this was to be expected
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat Oct 2, '10, 9:06 pm

They should have just given him a new name. Sure it would have made some fans mad, but hey, it's better than saying that the Dante you knew and loved is void.

But yeah, I've never really played DMC so I can't say much. But I will say this, I plan to eventually.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby MrKite » Sun Oct 3, '10, 12:26 am

They rebooted Megaman X in 2006 as "Megaman:Maverick Hunter X".
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 4, '10, 6:51 pm

Reboot seems to be the new buzzword in the entertainment industry as a whole, not just video games. Lots of movie franchises have been doing in the past several years, too. Sometimes a reboot can be a good thing and turn out well, but other times it's a horrible idea. One thing to remember is that a reboot doesn't always mean the end of a previous series. They may be redesigning Dante, but his old design is still showing up in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. So maybe Capcom has plans to keep the previous version active as well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sat Mar 5, '11, 7:46 am

MrKite wrote:They rebooted Megaman X in 2006 as "Megaman:Maverick Hunter X".

Yeah that was pretty good for a remake. There were also supposed to be PSP versions of Megaman X2-6, but sadly MHX never sold as well as Capcom hoped it would. Ah well, maybe Capcom will release them for Sony's NGP (PSP2) or 3DS someday, probably not likely though:(
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Return to In the News