Retro question

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Retro question

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Tue Jun 1, '10, 8:20 pm

When does a game or console begin to be considered "retro"?

I actually have no idea.
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Re: Retro question

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 1, '10, 8:38 pm

It's open to personal interpretation. Some people consider stuff released over 5 years ago to be retro. Some prefer over 10 years. Personally, when I see "retro" tend to think of games and consoles older than the Dreamcast. So to me, PS Online for example is not retro. To other folks though, it would be.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Tue Jun 1, '10, 8:57 pm

For me, I think a system or game goes retro once that generation of consoles has been discontinued. For instance, the 6th generation is still alive because Playstation2 is still being manufactured and new games are being released for it. That means that the Dreamcast, Xbox and Game Cube, even though they've been discontinued, aren't quite retro yet. For me, anyway.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 2, '10, 5:30 am

I more or less agree with Tanith. I can consider games on the PS1 or N64 retro at this point...but something on the PS2 or Gamecube, oh no. Games like the first Metroid Prime or Smash Bros. Melee, which came out early when the Gamecube was released, I can't see them as retro. Plus, Gamecube mini-disks can be played on the current-gen Wii. The first Ratchet and Clank or Kingdom Hearts, out fairly early when the PS2 was released, I can't call them retro, and they can be played on the older model PS3s. These just aren't retro for me.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tweeg » Wed Jun 2, '10, 1:35 pm

For me it's systems up through the 16-bit era. Once the 32-bit and 64-bit stuff started coming out gaming changed significantly.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Schala Zeal » Sun Aug 8, '10, 5:52 pm

For me, Retro = 8bit games released in the 80's. The SNES/Genesis age is pretty retro as well, but that's the age I grew up in, so it feels weird to call it that. I guess that shows you how old I am. :rofl:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Return to Retro Roundup