Games that don't age well

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Games that don't age well

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 13, '07, 11:33 pm

Have you ever gone back to play a game that you used to enjoy years ago, only to find that it was not as much fun as you remember it having been? If so, what game(s) gave you this kind of feeling?

For me, the first Dragon Warrior is one of these. It was a fun game back in the day, but when I try to play it now, I get frustrated with how long it takes to do some things. Menu navigation has really improved a lot in games since then.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Fri Dec 14, '07, 7:10 pm

Spider-Man for PlayStation. I had a huge amount of fun playing it the first time and collecting everything in the game. But now that I have all the stuff and know where everything is, the fun isn't there as much.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 14, '07, 7:12 pm

Uhhhmmm, Tomb raiders. They can be fun the first way through, but aren't gonna get anything new. I like the games that are random. Go strategy!
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby LordShibas » Thu Dec 20, '07, 4:00 pm

Any game that was 3d and made during the PS/Saturn/N64 era. Most of it looks like crap by today's standards. The 2d stuff holds up well though. I'm not saying that it makes them bad games, it just makes them look very dated.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Thu Dec 20, '07, 9:12 pm

Especially the early 3D games. :yes: Even some early PlayStation 2 games look really dated by current standards.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 21, '07, 4:52 am

lol FF7-9.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Postby Neithird » Sun Dec 23, '07, 1:15 pm

FF7 looks really bad today. The Popeye effect on Cloud was great back then, but wow, he just looks so silly today. I've heard rumors of a remake for PlayStation 3. I wonder if they will ever make one?
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 23, '07, 6:57 pm

His arms look like wine bottles.XDDDDDDDDDDDd

SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Re: Games that don't age well

Postby Shinuzzo » Sun Dec 23, '07, 11:24 pm

Thoul wrote:For me, the first Dragon Warrior is one of these. It was a fun game back in the day, but when I try to play it now, I get frustrated with how long it takes to do some things. Menu navigation has really improved a lot in games since then.

Dragon Quest didn't really hit its stride until the third game.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby LordShibas » Mon Dec 24, '07, 12:14 am

SparkyIII wrote:lol FF7-9.

It doesn't really matter. All 3 are incredible games.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Next

Return to Tech and Design