Games hard to beat

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Games hard to beat

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 21, '12, 7:13 pm

Interesting article about several video games that may be hard to beat:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in ... 51468.html

Has anyone played any of these games mentioned, and did you find it particularly hard to beat the game?? If so, what exactly did you find so difficult about it?

Can anyone think of any other games that you had a hard time winning or overcoming a level of the game, etc.?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Games hard to beat

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jul 21, '12, 7:35 pm

I actually beat the Lost Levels...it wasn't easy, but I did it! As for Demons' Souls, my boyfriend has that...yeah, it's completely brutal and pointlessly hard, but that's so well known that if you buy that game, you have no excuse for not knowing how brutal it is. In fact, I think people get that game because of how hard it is.

I've also heard of I Wanna Be the Guy, and there are some hilarious Let's Plays of that on youtube.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 22, '12, 1:38 am

The only game on that list I've really played is Contra. I might have tried Battletoads or the Lost Levels, but I don't really remember them if so. I've heard that Demon's Souls is really tough, but never played or even seen it. Probably because it's a PS3 game. I've never even heard of the rest of the list.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sun Jul 22, '12, 3:11 am

I haven’t completed any of those games, but I have played Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels and I do own Demon Souls but I’ve invested very little time into that game. I have however completed its sequel, Dark Souls.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wing Eye » Sun Jul 22, '12, 8:01 am

I have beaten 1 game on that list :) That would be Demon Souls.
Yes it was unforgivingly hard and brutal right from the start, it took many hours of level grinding, and I loved every second of it!
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby myau56 » Sun Jul 22, '12, 8:33 am

Difficult games ? There are alot of them which are very very hard to beat :! (and I HATE difficult games... ;))
I can think about Ninja Gaiden on XBOX (argh !!!!) and Alien Soldier on Megadrive : awful lol ^^
Last edited by myau56 on Sat Jan 5, '13, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Jul 23, '12, 5:16 pm

Lost levels was brutal, I don't remember finishing it. Was fun though.

Contra? Really? I used to finish that game without losing a life, both arcade and NES versions. People seem to think it was hard because the 30-lives code was a programmed behavior in most gamers so it was assumed it couldn't be done without cheating. The game could very well be completed with three lives and a little practice.

Hard games? Try 7th Saga for the SNES. I finished it when I used to live alone with a LOT of time to spend leveling until I realized that the bosses leveled with you. Ouch. It was a turn based RPG but it was HARD. I love that sort of difficulty where you live or die because you made the right decision. Games where you need hair-trigger reflexes or the ability to learn and repeat the same pattern 256 times to kill a boss bore me.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby myau56 » Tue Jul 24, '12, 12:24 pm

AEROPRISM : Ah ! The Seventh Saga ! I've tried it ! But never played very long because ..;because it was extremely hard I confirm ! Even the games in which "you live or die because you made the right decision" : I don't like !! Too difficult ? I abandon it ! Or try some help :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 24, '12, 9:38 pm

Yep, 7th Saga was a pretty hard one. I remember renting that one back in the day. I don't recall how far I got into it, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one that I rented again. I liked the concept of characters taking on different paths through the story, but the difficulty killed my interest in exploring all the paths.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby MrKite » Sun Aug 19, '12, 6:47 am

Any of the Ninja Gaiden games on the NES are some that come to mind.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Next

Return to General Gaming