Games beaten/completed in 2017

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Games beaten/completed in 2017

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Apr 16, '17, 10:46 pm

I have seen topics like that in other forums, and they are quite cool, so I think it might work here too.

There is no need to be so specific like me, but the usual participation is just to list the game you finished and talk about it a little. I will "import" the games I finished from other place.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Re: Games beaten/completed in 2017

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Apr 16, '17, 10:48 pm

Games beaten in 2017:

01/08 - XBlaze Lost: Memories (PSV)

Well, the is a mixed bag since it is not exactly a new game, but mostly a recap of XBlaze Code: Embryo, told through flashbacks, and some additions. Although the game seems to have an original story with original characters, in the end the focus is in the old story and old characters. Due to that, the games mostly share the same strengths and flaws of the predecessor. The good characters remain good, the bad ones remain bad. At least the game does a good job on not changing characters' personalities. In the end I found the main story a bit lacking, makes the convoluted plot more convoluted and doesn't end in a satisfying way. I'd say it is even silly.

The new characters were nice, Nobody is adorable and Me is cool, too bad they don't develop much in the latter stages of the game. If the latter story focused on them, maybe it would be better than regurgitating XBlaze Code: Embryo story.

At least there is a lot of Kuon in the game, including an extra short storyline just for fanservice. Yay! She is my waifu even more now, up a few places in Tili's ultimate harem.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Apr 16, '17, 10:49 pm

Games beaten in 2017:

01/14 - Sakura Swim Club (PC)

Whoever plays this kind of game should know what they are up to. If anything, the best part was that I probably paid 3 bucks or something for it.

When I played my first Winged Cloud game, Sakura Angels, I had the impression that it was visual novel fans trying to do their visual novel with fanservice, tropes, etc, that have not accomplished anything remarkable because of their lack of experience. With Sakura Swim Club, I realized that it is what they are up to. Well, the name of the game was already suspicious, but...

Sakura Swim Club is a lot like Sakura Angels: a self-insert mc, two gorgeous girls with opposite personalities and lots of fanservicey situations with the girls. One thing that Sakura Swim Club does better than Sakura Angels is that it is a very mundane story, so the fanservice seems less misplaced. There is some obvious attempts on being a bit like If My Heart Had Wings, but storylines are never developed properly, since the focus is on fanservice, with some beauttiful but scarce images. There is some graphic sex if you want to (steam version is censored), but just some bones thrown at the fan, rushed as everything else in the game.

I don't believe Winged Cloud staff has the skills to do something memorable, but if they tried harder, they could to something passable for a $10 or $15 VN. As they rush everything and make everything superficial, it isn't worth more than $5, and that only for a small niche, people like me who find something that they enjoy in these games. Dat Mieko was worthy $3.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Apr 16, '17, 10:51 pm

Games beaten in 2017

02/05- Hitman: Blood Money (PC)

It will be a long time before I finish any console or handheld game, so probably my backlog will advance a bit on PC. I finally decided to keep up with games from series I like, but didn't have the opportunity to play before, and being a big Hitman 2 fan, I chose to give a chance to Hitman: Blood Money. And I am glad I did. The game is more or less what I expected from my experience with Hitman 2 a long time ago: complex missions where you have to use your brain and skills, with the freedom of choosing a specific style. I admit I tend to favor brute force over stealth and strategy most of the time, but the fun is that you can try one style, then try the other and see how you can fare. Moreover, going brute force also demand a lot of strategy, managing weapons, ammo, and choosing the best places and moments to eliminate the enemies. And that is what I like in shooters: missions in mostly urban settings, with complex maps and the need to evaluate each step, not war-like shooters.

The way the story is told is also pretty nice, through flashbacks that lead to missions until the climax ending. Very well played. The story is good too, though I was more fond of Hitman 2 story. Another nice thing I liked was the possibility of buying weapon enhancements and items with the mission rewards, so that you would want to get a better performance in missions in order to get more money and customize weapons and items according to your style. The only issue I have with the game (probably some settings in my PC) was that it crashed sometimes one hour into a mission, that I had to start over. Even so, the game was great and I am determined to not wait too long before playing other games from the series.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Apr 17, '17, 1:50 am

Beat Last Guardian back in January, on my birthday actually. Pretty good. Definitely had some flaws and some mechanics that Team Ico really should have updated a bit but it wasn't enough to ruin the game for me, admittedly.

I also finished Journey on PS4. Very good. Worth playing at least once. Nothing else like it.

Beat Shelter on Steam as well. Got it on sale a while back knowing it was pretty short. But it was cute and enjoyable for what it was, if a bit "well that's nature for you" at the very end.

Finally, beat Destroy All Humans! on PS4 most recently. 100%'d it, got the platinum trophy. Still among my favorite games of the PS2 era.

Think that's it for now. Got a few games in progress, but we'll see if I actually beat any of them in the near future.

Well, okay, Horizon Zero Dawn definitely has my interest enough that I'll beat it, but at a snail's pace.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Apr 18, '17, 2:32 am

I haven't played The Last Guardian (neither Final Fantasy XV), but I think they are cases where it was better to have the game with some flaws than keep waiting even more for games with troubled development cycles.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby tilinelson2 » Wed Apr 26, '17, 3:06 am

Games beaten in 2017

04/24- A Kiss for The Petals: Remembering How We Met (PC)

There goes a questionable game once again...

Since I am stuck with very long games in consoles, all that is left is to beat these short visual novels on PC. As far as I know, A Kiss for The Petals is a series which dozens of stories, and Remembering How We Met is one from the middle, so there may be much more to this series than this title. However, it was kinda a letdown given the praise this game has received in many reviews. I can understand the "novelty effect" of having a straight yuri visual novel being localized when it is rare (most of the time it is dating sims, be it harem or otome); the story also tries to be kinda cute slice-of-life romance, besides there are some very beautiful CGs and all. The problem I saw was with the narrative per se, too repetitive, with support characters being just one-liners with no importance to the story, and above all, one of the two protagonists being shallow and unlikable. In the end it is a lot like many of the male-oriented romance in Japanese culture: submissive woman "dies" for a protagonist that is unlikable, mostly rude, and does nothing to deserve the affection it receives. The only difference is that the love affection of the submissive woman is another woman. Even the subtle moments, I didn't think they were treated with the subtlety they should, and it makes the character that should thrive on subtleties to be bland. In the end it wasn't much different from the considered "shovelware anime/manga VNs made by western amateurs" that flood Steam these days: they had all the elements to make a good game, but the execution ruined it.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Tue May 2, '17, 12:53 pm

At last, I've finished YS Memories of Celceta on my PSVITA !!
After nearly 54 hours of game :)
That was only the second YS I've finished ! And the first one was...the first YS on my beloved Master System ! What a gap between the two ! ;)
This memories of Celceta was a great experience and a great game :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jul 8, '17, 6:58 pm

I finally beat Pokemon Red a while back. Then jumped all the way to Moon, after dabbling a bit in all three 3DS native Pokemon games, and settling on Moon to beat first. Promptly imported all my critters into Moon from Red, which I don't see myself revisiting. I will return to Y and Alpha Sapphire, and want to slowly build a living pokedex in Pokemon Bank. I will likely get Gold or Silver when those release on Virtual Console, and may go back to the DS titles sometime. I will probably Ultra Sun or Moon later this year.

Oh and I beat Horizon Zero Dawn.

Holy. CRAP.

Replaying it after patch 1.30 dropped this week, and even broke down and preordered the DLC, as I do not in anyway fear it being bad.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Jul 13, '17, 11:46 am

Games beaten in 2017

04/24- A Kiss for The Petals: Remembering How We Met (PC)
06/17- Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I remembered I forgot to add that because I was playing DLC. However, the main game was finished almost a month ago. As a huge fan of the first Deus Ex game, I got mostly what I expected from it: great gameplay with stealth/combat balance, plenty of things to explore, interesting lore and story, great interaction with the world (characters, newspapers, books, e-mails, etc). Although I still prefer the story of the first game of the franchise, Human Revolution was a hit. Too bad this series is fated to have hits and misses so that there are always uncertainty about its future.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to General Gaming