Is Anyone Getting A DSI?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Is Anyone Getting A DSI?

Postby LordShibas » Sat Feb 21, '09, 2:05 pm

I think they come out the first week of April in the US and I'm debating on getting one or not. As far as I can tell, the new features don't really enhance gaming at all, so I may sit this one out and just hang onto my existing DSes. Are there really any good reasons to pick one up that I may have missed?
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 21, '09, 3:55 pm

I'm not planning on getting one. I haven't had by DS Lite that long, so I don't really see much of a reason to get a replacement yet. The camera isn't enough to sway me.

I think there are going to be some additional features that future games might use, but I can't see those getting very popular. Most companies will likely be producing games that'll work on the older DSes to increase their sales.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sat Feb 21, '09, 6:06 pm

I'll only buy one if it comes free in my bowl of cereal, honestly. To take away the GBA slot was just foolish in my opinion, and yet they haven't proven to me a real reason for doing so, not to mention that they've gone and neutered that Guitar Hero game that requires the slot. And while I'm at it, I'm not seeing a major purpose for the Camera, nor the minute changes to the screen size.

Until Nintendo and the third part companies can prove to me that it's useful, I honestly see it as nothing more than a DS that swallowed my bloody camera. And soon enough, it'll probably eat my phone. and my MP3 Player.

Ugh.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby LordShibas » Sat Feb 21, '09, 7:18 pm

Taking away the GBA slot is stupid IMO. Seriously, how much can the internal technology cost to have it play GBA games? The camera doesn't entice me at all, I already have a digital camera that I don't use and I doubt I'd be interested in any quirky games that would require the use of it.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby pitohui » Sun Feb 22, '09, 7:52 am

I'll pick one up if I have a little extra money down the line, but it's not a priority right now. I'm not too burned by the removal of GBA compatibility because I prefer to play GBA games on my SP anyway.

Of course, if these are released in tandem with DQIX my hand will be forced:

pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby Lucas » Mon Feb 23, '09, 8:02 am

I don't plan on getting one I still have the original fat DS so I don't think I need another thinner one. Also with GBA slot gone I don't think many gamers I know will get it either.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Mon Feb 23, '09, 7:30 pm

I have a DS Lite and I don't see enough specs on the DSI to have me want it. Not only that but they removed the GBA port so that actually took away a reason for me. Now if I didn't own one I'd certainly look into it.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lemina » Tue Feb 24, '09, 12:32 am

That Dragon Warrior DS looks amazing! But I'm still not really interested in the DSI. Not only can it not play GBA games; but it can't play imports either, which really kills it for me.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby pitohui » Tue Feb 24, '09, 7:23 am

Lemina wrote:That Dragon Warrior DS looks amazing! But I'm still not really interested in the DSI. Not only can it not play GBA games; but it can't play imports either, which really kills it for me.

Are you sure? The Japanese DSI is region-free, are they locking out Japanese games on international units? If you don't mind the extra few bucks, you could always import one.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby Lemina » Tue Feb 24, '09, 11:54 pm

The people I heard it from could be wrong; but importing a JP one does sound like the perfect solution. Especially if that imported one is that Dragon Quest one that you showed us earlier. :heart:
Speaking of Dragon Quest, I heard that DQIX might be DSI exclusive. Is that true?

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Next

Return to Tech and Design