Phantasy Star: Nurse

A new Phantasy Star image added to the site three days a week!

Nurse

Nurse

View Gallery Page

Phantasy Star: Nurse

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 18, '11, 12:07 am

When suffering from ailments or wounds, seeking medical attention is usually a good idea. This truth has long carried over into video games. Throughout the Phantasy Star series, we can see nurses and doctors willing to provide treatment for a small fee. This is one such nurse from Phantasy Star. Her outfit is similar to those worn by other Palman women in the game, but colored in the traditional white associated with the medical profession. She might even be wearing an apron, like the food vendors, but with a different design. The two toned nature of her clothes make it difficult to be certain.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Phantasy Star: Nurse

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jan 18, '11, 4:34 pm

Atleast they only want a "small" fee. :lol:

Interesting dress. I can't see anything else that would distinguish her as a nurse. No Rx symbol or anything like that. Didn't nurses use to wear special caps or something like that at one time..in real life, I mean, and perhaps other venues, that gave them a special recognition of sorts?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Oakley2284 » Tue Jan 18, '11, 9:57 pm

Thats because she's wearing a white dress... Maybe :lol:
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 18, '11, 11:05 pm

If I remember right, the buildings the nurses are in have a Red Cross symbol on them to identify them as hospitals. I know that was in PSII, but I can't recall for sure if it was in PSI. Anyway, that's been altered in later versions to a different symbol.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 25, '20, 11:12 pm

Bumping up this former Image Of the day!

A nurse, who doesn't really look like a traditional nurse as we probably think they may look. Still, she looks quite capable.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Snorb » Wed Aug 26, '20, 6:22 pm

Some years-late related clarification on the Red Cross symbol:

* In Phantasy Star I, hospitals were identified with a Red Cross symbol on the building, whether you were on Palma, Motavia, or Dezoris. The actual doctor at the shop counter isn't marked as such. The Red Cross symbol in the Nintendo Switch version (and presumably the Wii Virtual Console release) patches out the Red Cross symbol, replacing it with a red H.

* In Phantasy Star II, hospitals were identified with a Green Cross symbol on the building. This is slightly less unusual because the Dezorians state that toxic gas caused the Palman colonists to leave in a hurry, and they moved into the Palman-built cities. In any event, the Wii Virtual Console version (and presumably the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive rerelease compilations for modern consoles and PC) patch out the Green Cross symbol into a green H. (I can't comment about the Palman doctor portrait that appears when you visit a hospital because Googling "phantasy star ii doctor picture" gives us as the first result a far cuter doctor from Phantasy Star II. Squee.)

* In Phantasy Star III, hospitals Sanctums of Healing were represented not by a medical symbol, but by a nude goddess, arms crossed over her chest. A nurse on the Sanctum's second floor is dressed like a modern nurse, complete with Green Cross on her nurse's cap. The Wii Virtual Console release (and again, modern Genesis compilation rereleases, presumably) patch out the Green Cross on her cap, deleting it entirely.

* There are no hospitals in Phantasy Star IV. So there's nothing to patch out graphics-wise as far as medical symbols protected by the Geneva Conventions; the Wii Virtual Console release (and, again, compilation rereleases) do patch some Techniques so there's less full-screen flashing to protect photosensitive players. (It also patches the Level 99 Glitch, which was literally one line's worth of code, and even then, it doesn't patch it for Seth, but nobody's going to take the time to level him up to level 99, right?)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby myau56 » Thu Aug 27, '20, 12:54 pm

Snorb wrote:Some years-late related clarification on the Red Cross symbol:

* In Phantasy Star I, hospitals were identified with a Red Cross symbol on the building, whether you were on Palma, Motavia, or Dezoris. The actual doctor at the shop counter isn't marked as such. The Red Cross symbol in the Nintendo Switch version (and presumably the Wii Virtual Console release) patches out the Red Cross symbol, replacing it with a red H.

* In Phantasy Star II, hospitals were identified with a Green Cross symbol on the building. This is slightly less unusual because the Dezorians state that toxic gas caused the Palman colonists to leave in a hurry, and they moved into the Palman-built cities. In any event, the Wii Virtual Console version (and presumably the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive rerelease compilations for modern consoles and PC) patch out the Green Cross symbol into a green H. (I can't comment about the Palman doctor portrait that appears when you visit a hospital because Googling "phantasy star ii doctor picture" gives us as the first result a far cuter doctor from Phantasy Star II. Squee.)

* In Phantasy Star III, hospitals Sanctums of Healing were represented not by a medical symbol, but by a nude goddess, arms crossed over her chest. A nurse on the Sanctum's second floor is dressed like a modern nurse, complete with Green Cross on her nurse's cap. The Wii Virtual Console release (and again, modern Genesis compilation rereleases, presumably) patch out the Green Cross on her cap, deleting it entirely.

* There are no hospitals in Phantasy Star IV. So there's nothing to patch out graphics-wise as far as medical symbols protected by the Geneva Conventions; the Wii Virtual Console release (and, again, compilation rereleases) do patch some Techniques so there's less full-screen flashing to protect photosensitive players. (It also patches the Level 99 Glitch, which was literally one line's worth of code, and even then, it doesn't patch it for Seth, but nobody's going to take the time to level him up to level 99, right?)

Very nice explanations, dear Snorb ! Very interesting facts ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Featured Images