Game series that jumped the shark

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 10, '07, 12:06 am

Tsunami wrote:I thought the 3rd was a great game. :o I can understand why the 5th was bad (after reading reviews and getting opinions from people), but I really enjoyed BoF3.

I didn't really enjoy BoFIII. It was okay, but not as enthralling as the previous installments. III marked the beginning of changes in the series that led to what it is today, so I think of it as the sharking jumping moment of the series. When playing III, I could tell that the series was never going to be as good again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Sun Nov 11, '07, 1:59 am

Neithird wrote:Since it was never finished in English, I wasn't able to play it. It might have been good if they had finished it. As they left it, it was part of the downhill slope for the Shining series.

That's an interesting point.. I'm a fan of the Ys series which stopped (for a decade) at part 3 in the US. Compared to Ys Book I&II, Ys III isn't so hot. Great soundtrack of course, but otherwise inferior. One could easily have said the series "jumped the shark" at that point [b]unless[\b] they played Ys IV which is arguably the best in the series (at least as good as Ys Book I&II).
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby LordShibas » Mon Nov 12, '07, 11:30 pm

Neithird wrote:Since it was never finished in English, I wasn't able to play it. It might have been good if they had finished it. As they left it, it was part of the downhill slope for the Shining series.

I never played all 3 scenarios either, but the first scenario was 100% translated and released on the Saturn, I still have my copy. I highly recommend you play it. I'll admit, the story does pretty much drop off, but it's a full game which is just as long as any other Shining Force game, and just as good IMO. Do you have a Saturn?
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Neithird » Tue Nov 13, '07, 5:55 pm

No, I don't have Saturn. I almost got one this weekend - I saw one for sale at a fairly good price, but it didn't have any controllers or cables so I passed on it. I don't think I would really be able to enjoy the story knowing that there is more to it, after the game, that I could never see.

hugues wrote:That's an interesting point.. I'm a fan of the Ys series which stopped (for a decade) at part 3 in the US. Compared to Ys Book I&II, Ys III isn't so hot. Great soundtrack of course, but otherwise inferior. One could easily have said the series "jumped the shark" at that point [b]unless[\b] they played Ys IV which is arguably the best in the series (at least as good as Ys Book I&II).

Oh, it kinda poofed like Dragon Warrior did? I wondered what happened to Ys... I never heard about it again after the third one. I think I played that on the Genesis. It was the only one I played, so I couldn't really say if it jumped the shark or not.

Another series that jumped the shark: Valis. After Valis III, there was one more game and that was so bad the series ended.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Previous

Return to General Gaming