Sega takes a big hit

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Sega takes a big hit

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 12, '09, 10:07 pm

Over in Japan, Sega is not doing so well financially. One of their recent press releases says they're closing 110 arcades, cutting the game development budget by 20%, and laying off 560 of 3127 employees. That's roughly 18% of their staff out the door. Wired says Sega had a loss of $238 million US last year and currrently runs 450 arcades. That is some pretty hefty belt tightening going on over there.

This comes after Sega of America laid off 30 people last month, too. It seems like Sega may be struggling a little on both sides of the sea.

Any thoughts on what they should be doing to strengthen the company for this year?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Thu Feb 12, '09, 10:33 pm

Hmm. Strengthening the company? Well, other than boarding up the windows and riding out the economic problems of the world....I'd say that they need to reassure their fans that despite these times, and despite a loss of staff, that their overall quality will not degrade. Because a loss of fan confidence could be their quickest way down the hole. It already happened once with the Dreamcast, in my opinion.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby LordShibas » Thu Feb 12, '09, 11:24 pm

They could try making some good games.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Lemina » Fri Feb 13, '09, 12:53 am

I don't think that their games are terrible, but I kind of agree with LordShibas. Their game quality has declined quite a bit since the good ol' days, so it makes sense that they're not so popular anymore.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby LordShibas » Fri Feb 13, '09, 2:23 am

IMO the only ongoing series of games that Sega has that has not declined in quality is the Virtua Fighter series. It's still top notch. Everything else is kinda "eh" these days.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby DrkTr14ce » Fri Feb 13, '09, 5:13 pm

Agreed. Wait...does Sega make The House of the Dead? I can never remember...

To be a bit more positive, though, I do believe that Sonic Unleashed offered a bit of confidence that the blue blur still has some worthwhile ability in him yet. And I've heard some good things about the RPG one on the DS. Dark Brotherhood, or something, I can never get the full title right..
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 13, '09, 8:32 pm

Yeah, Sega does House of the Dead. I think a new one is coming up this year, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Fri Feb 13, '09, 10:06 pm

Yes, Sega does the House of the Dead series, but it has never been all that great IMO. It's sad when a company like Sega is reduced to being judged by the quality of their light gun games.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Return to In the News