Too much Playstation

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Too much Playstation

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Feb 24, '09, 9:43 pm

Playing too much Playstation (and probably other types of game systems also) for a significant amount of time without taking a break could cause you harm or injuries in some cases. Read this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/technolo ... GY20090224

I can believe it as I remember my thumbs and hands having pains from holding various controllers so long. I tend to forget to take breaks when I am really into playing a fun game. :wink:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Feb 24, '09, 10:08 pm

That's crazy. My hands sweat sometimes when I play and I do like to play for large amounts of time but this has yet to happen to me. But then again I don't do it everyday. Well, I have the sudden urge to go play some PlayStation... >.>
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Lemina » Tue Feb 24, '09, 11:49 pm

Someone's been at the PS a little too long. XD I can't believe that someone would get sores from holding a controller. I've heard of joint pain; but skin problems are new to me!

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 25, '09, 3:34 am

Well, they've been warning us for years that we should take a break from playing every fifteen minutes or so. If people don't listen to that advice, they're going to have to face consequences like this.

That said, I find it very odd that this has only been reported as happening to one person. I think there must be some other factor involved. Perhaps there is some kind of allergic reaction to something on the controller.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Wed Feb 25, '09, 3:41 am

I must admit I also get sweaty hands from playing the PS for large amounts of time too, but nothing bad yet. Just goes to show that we need to be careful of nearly everything we do in our day to day lives. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Feb 25, '09, 3:57 pm

I'm just surprised the article said it didn't give the twelve year-old cancer. Afterall, almost everything now-a-days does. XD
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby LordShibas » Sat Feb 28, '09, 12:57 pm

I've never had any serious side effects from long gaming binges. Every now and then my hand will start to hurt a bit when I hold my DS for hours on end, but I'll simply need to adjust my hands and I'm fine.

I've had some sore wrists from playing PC MMOs for hours and hours on end back in the day, but I don't play them very much anymore.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Sat Feb 28, '09, 6:09 pm

I do play for a few hours at a time but when you get married and or have kids your time is limited obviously, but since I"m on the computer all the time with work I've made it a habit to look at how my hands are situation from time to time and if they're askew I will adjust them accordingly. Perhaps that's why I haven't had any real issues, but this really isn't new news as Thoul pointed out. Nintendo even put this bit of info in the instruction books for their games and most game companies do this now. We just need to be more aware of our wrists and hands when playing, it only takes 1 min of your time so you won't miss out on anything in the game.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Return to In the News