Let's Talk About Endings

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Let's Talk About Endings

Postby Celeith » Wed Mar 26, '08, 7:54 pm

In this topic we can discuss the various game endings we've seen after playing our favorite games. Please not this topic will contain spoilers of each game discussed and you are reading at your own risk. With that said lets begin.

Alright today I'll start off with SaGa Frontier. The game has seven different main characters, each with their own endings. I will be talking about my favorite character Asellus, who has a amazing "Three" endings in this game.

Human Ending

This ending is obtained by never using Asellus' mystic powers and by saving Gina at the end of the game. Asellus has just defeated Charm Lord Orlouge at the highest point of the castle Chateau Aiguille in Facinaturu, the land of the Mystics. Asellus has rejected the Mystic Blood that flows in her, never letting it take control over her soul. Asellus and her group watch as Orlouge's body vanishes into nothing. When the battle ends the screen blacks out, returning with sad music showing a old Gina standing in front of a grave. Zozma, Illdon, Mesarathim, Rei, and White Rose appear in the graveyard and talk to Gina about Asellus' life as a human. It then shows a photobook of a older Asellus sitting on the couch, she's become a old woman now. Her daughter next to her, who is holding a baby girl in her lap, her son standing next to Asellus. The page flips to a scene years earlier of Asellus' children wearing graduation gowns. Her son placing his hand on her shoulder as they hold their diploma's.

The page flips once again to show Asellus a few years younger. She's in her home with her two loving children at the dinner table. They all appear to be making a huge mess together. The page flips once again, showing Asellus with her children, who are babies sitting in a field of flowers. Once again the page flips, showing Asellus walking down the isle in a beautiful wedding dress, her hand grasped gently in her groom's hand. The page flips once again, showing Asellus as a teenager, shes standing in front of a ocean view with a smile on her face. It flips once again to Asellus as a child, a friend and her are holding icecream cones, while their other friend stares into the camera.

Once again the page flips, showing Asellus still as a child. Shes standing outside of her house with her dog. And the page flips for a final time, showing five women who all made a strong impact in Asellus' life when she was a Half-Mystic during the game. The page is surrounded in flowers with White Rose on the far left, Rei sitting next to her, Asellus in the middle waving her hand, Lion princess next to her, and Mesarathim sitting there with a smile on her face as well. The screen fades out and thus ends the Human ending of Asellus' story.

Half Human / Half Mystic Ending

This ending is obtained by using Asellus' mystic powers and by saving Gina at the end of the game. Asellus has just defeated Charm Lord Orlouge at the highest point of the castle Chateau Aiguille in Facinaturu, the land of the Mystics. Asellus has rejected the Mystic Blood that flows in her, never letting it take control over her soul. Developing her mystic powers at a slow rate she keeps some of her humanity. Asellus and her group watch as Orlouge's body vanishes into nothing. When the battle ends the screen blacks out, returning with sad music showing a beautiful flower garden. Asellus, still a Half-Mystic walks through the garden finally approaching a old Gina who is in a rocking chair telling the story of Asellus' journey to the children. The children leave and Illdon, a comrade of Asellus appears and talks to Gina about her life as a human and how's she's aged.

Zozma, another Mystic that allied with Asellus appears. Gina asked Zozma how Asellus has been all these years, and a few words are shared between the two. White Rose appears as well, sharing some minor dialog about Gina's life and Asellus, and herself. The four continue talking about times of the past and how a humans life is limited to such a short amount of time. And finally Asellus appears, coming to see her dear friend after so many years. The two tell stories with minor dialog as Gina still rocks in the chair. After a brief moment the screen eventually fades out, thus ending the Half Human / Mystic ending of Asellus' story.

Full Mystic Ending

This ending is obtained by using Asellus' mystic powers to their full extent and by not saving Gina at the end of the game. Asellus has just defeated Charm Lord Orlouge at the highest point of the castle Chateau Aiguille in Facinaturu, the land of the Mystics. Asellus has accepted the Mystic Blood that flows in her, finally letting it take control over her soul. Asellus and her group watch as Orlouge's body vanishes into nothing. When the battle ends the screen blacks out. Returning, evil music begins playing as it shows Gina still in her youth wearing a white dress. She is standing in a room inside the castle waiting for her queen to arrive.

Asellus appears wearing rulers clothes, as well as having grown horns from her head begins talking to her "Lover" about her new rule over Facinaturu, but tells Gina that her reign will not end there. Rastaban appears asking Asellus about the other princesses that lie asleep in the caskets in the castle. Asellus tells Rastaban that she has no need in "His" devoured gregs, and tells Rastaban to keep them closed. Gina is scared at this moment but Asellus tells Gina not to worry, for their eternal feasting shall begin soon. Illdon appears telling her she should not have expected as much from such a "*bad word*".

She forces him to leave, saying she does not need his coaching anymore. She asked Rastaban to take care of Zozma for he believes he defeated Orlouge alone. She finally says that she surpasses "Him" in every aspect. That she will possess 100, even 200 princesses and then shall make all Mystic Lords tremble under her, as well as humans and mecs. The screen fades out, Asellus giving a evil sinister laugh. Thus ending the Full Mystic ending of Asellus' story.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 27, '08, 11:11 pm

I haven't played Saga Frontier so I'm skipping most of that post. This is a good topic, though.

Hey, for those of you who have played Chrono Trigger, what was your favorite ending from that? It had a bunch of different endings, so I won't even try to list them all. I liked the one that had Crono's mom chasing the cats and the Reptite ending the most.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Fri Mar 28, '08, 4:21 am

I liked the one where Crono and Marle fly away on the ballons while Outskirts of Time plays, and the one where everyone refuses to bring Crono back and Marle travels to 2300 AD to the top of Death Peak alone to bring him back.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Celeith » Tue Apr 1, '08, 9:27 am

I kinda guess this topic won't make a big deal with people.. to me i don't mind about reading about endings that i've never seen before.. for one it makes me want to play through the game and get it myself.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Apr 2, '08, 6:19 am

Champions: Return to Arms had a sort of interesting ending. But its more like an interesting game, because on the first section, you choose whether you want to be the good guys, or the bad guys. *guess where the majority of MY characters lie XD* I don't really remember much from either, especially not the good guy ending, but what I do remember from each was that when good won, they buried the artifacts you went through all the trouble of finding, then live happily ever after.
But the bad guys get an interesting ending if you played the first game in the series. Champions of Norrath ended with you defeating the Prince of Hate, apparently is who he is, and moving on to the Plane of Tranquility....where in the sequel game, you go to the plane of war to stop the quest to revive him, and *if you choose to* you end up joining the quest instead. lol, then you go through several planes and win, you end up waking up the guy you killed just a few weeks earlier. Yeah, I bet that started a profitable relation with your "superior". XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Celeith » Wed Apr 2, '08, 8:05 am

I've never heard of this game before. What system is it for
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Lemina » Sun Apr 6, '08, 8:00 pm

Thoul wrote:I haven't played Saga Frontier so I'm skipping most of that post. This is a good topic, though.

Hey, for those of you who have played Chrono Trigger, what was your favorite ending from that? It had a bunch of different endings, so I won't even try to list them all. I liked the one that had Crono's mom chasing the cats and the Reptite ending the most.

Ooo, I've heard of the reptite ending to Chrono Trigger, but I've never seen it. It does sound hilarious though. I actually remember the ending where Chrono's mom chased the cats, only it was one cat rather than multiple cats for me though.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Apr 13, '08, 4:54 am

Sorry it took so long for a reply, kaloes. We play the game on PS2, but I'm sure it has others. Full title for the first is Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 15, '08, 3:44 am

Lemina wrote:Ooo, I've heard of the reptite ending to Chrono Trigger, but I've never seen it. It does sound hilarious though. I actually remember the ending where Chrono's mom chased the cats, only it was one cat rather than multiple cats for me though.

There was just one cat for me at first too, but later I got it with several. There's some trigger for it, though just what escapes my memory at the moment. Reptite ending is pretty fun, it's almost just like the start of the game except everybody's changed to a Reptite.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Tue Apr 15, '08, 4:03 am

I think to get more cats you have to win another cat in the festival, least thats how i always got it.. i would only win 1 extra cat and when crono's mom came like 30 of the things ran on screen and she was chasing them. you can get like 10 cats in your house or more if i remember right. just keep getting catfood and another cat will pop up in your house eventually.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Return to Tech and Design