Frustrating or annoying game moments

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Mar 31, '08, 2:19 pm

Snorb wrote:Or even better, when memory card failure annihilates your hard-earned progress! (Has bitter memories of third-party memory card destroying ten hours' worth of Final Fantasy X progress. I JUST GOT AURON TOO)

I really do think that a third party memory card that kept corrupting my data is part of the reason I hate FFVII. I would get far and then go to load my file..."data is corrupt," or something along those lines. I really dislike it when equipment causes me to my progress, and it usually ends up with me not liking the game either since I had to replay so many times. I'm quite wary of just about any third party equipment anymore.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 31, '08, 7:14 pm

I've heard so many horror stories about third party memory cards. I've never used one myself, but I can't recall ever hearing about one that didn't fail. First party cards are more expensive, but I'd rather stick with those.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Reno » Mon Mar 31, '08, 10:36 pm

Thoul wrote:I've heard so many horror stories about third party memory cards.

FFX/Memory Card related Horror story: On my first playthrough in FFX I got all the way to the Calm Lands, (for those not in the know, about 5 hours away from the end of the game) and what happens? Next time I start it up, I find that my memory card did a bit of tiding up while I was away; it took all my game files, (card was nearly full) and stored them all away in these two little blue boxes called, "Corrupted Data" which, apparently, were both created in the year 56752552. ^_^

Add that to your list, Thoul!
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Lemina » Sun Apr 6, '08, 8:05 pm

^ Aww, man; that sucks! I bet you didn't pick up FFX for the longest time afterwards.
Snorb wrote:Or even better, when memory card failure annihilates your hard-earned progress! (Has bitter memories of third-party memory card destroying ten hours' worth of Final Fantasy X progress. I JUST GOT AURON TOO)

I've never had a memory card fail on me before, but I did have a game fail to save for me before. I got a used copy Virtua Fighter IV for the PS2 that absolutely refused to save for me. It said that something was wrong with the memory card, but the memory card worked just fine for my other PS2 games. Oh, well.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Celeith » Sat Apr 12, '08, 11:19 pm

so far i've never had any data on my memory cards corrupt on me. my cousin has had many game data corruptions such as Final Fantasy 7 all the way up to Robotech. I usually keep back up data on all my games anyways.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Previous

Return to Tech and Design