Phantasy Star Universe Shutting Down

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Phantasy Star Universe Shutting Down

Postby Celeith » Sat Jan 30, '10, 3:13 am

Yup you've heard me right. The PC/PS2 servers of Phantasy Star Universe will be shutting down.. Here is the official message from the site..

Important Information Regarding PC/PS2 Servers - Please ReadAttention Phantasy Star Universe players,

We regret to announce that the PC and PlayStation2 servers for Phantasy Star Universe will be closing as of this March 31st 2010.

SEGA would like to extend its sincere thanks to those who have played on the PC/PS2 servers over the past several years. The final update for PC/PS2 servers will be this January 29th 2010, which will start the long awaited MAG+ event. This event will receive the same updates & web support as the event on the Xbox 360 servers.

Please note that after January 29th 2010, no new PSU subscriptions will be available for purchase for PC/PS2. Those who are subscribed as of that time will be able to play, for free, until service closure.

The schedule is as follows:

-January 29th 2010: MAG+ event begins for PC/PS2 and Xbox 360 servers.

-January 29th 2010: No new PC/PS2 PSU subscriptions will be available for purchase.

-January 29th 2010: Free play for PC/PS2 PSU begins. No more billing cycles will take place on or after this date.

-March 31st 2010: PC/PS2 servers / service closure, the PlayStation2 and PC versions of Phantasy Star Universe online play will not be available after this date, however, please continue to enjoy the Single Player version of the game.

For those who play the Xbox 360 version of Phantasy Star Universe: SEGA will continue to support, in full & with regular updates, this version of Phantasy Star Universe. This includes bringing currently unreleased and anticipated content to the XBox 360 servers. We will be able to provide more details on future Xbox 360 PSU content over the coming weeks and months.

While we are sad to see the PC/PS2 version of Phantasy Star Universe end, the year 2010 is the 10th anniversary of Phantasy Star Online -- and this server / service closure is helping to pave the way for bigger and better things for the Phantasy Star franchise in the very near future!

Thank you all again for the support and great times together with us here at SEGA playing PSU! We look forward to seeing you again in our new adventures!
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Re: Phantasy Star Universe Shutting Down

Postby Lucas » Sat Jan 30, '10, 10:41 am

I always said to myself I’d like to take my PSU online. Oh, well :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Re: Phantasy Star Universe Shutting Down

Postby Thoul » Sat Jan 30, '10, 3:14 pm

That's a bit of a surprise. I guess there must be fewer people playing these days. It sounds like Sega has another online Phantasy Star in the works, though. Thanks for the news!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Phantasy Star General