Free Rice

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Free Rice

Postby Reno » Sat Feb 9, '08, 6:37 pm

Free Rice, a website that started October 7th, 2007, is a non-profit charity site that, (based on well you perform in a vocabulary web game) donates mass amounts of Rice to the United Nations who then proceed to use it to feed hungry people in developing countries.

I just stumbled upon it yesterday, you guys should try it out!

Just follow this link, (it's self-explanatory once you get there) and once you're done, post your opinion of it here.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Feb 10, '08, 8:39 pm

Thanks for the link. It was fun, and hopefully it will help someone out. I went up to a little over 4000 grains, I think it was, before I finally got tired.

Websites like this are fun, and something to do on a boring day or evening. They also improve your mind or brain functions to some extent, I think. Actually, I got more of them right than I thought I would, lol.

I only hope the rice does get donated to those who stand in need of it. One grain seems such a small amount, but there has to be a start somewhere. :up:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Reno » Mon Feb 11, '08, 8:25 pm

Thanks for giving the site a go, Silver :)

The game is pretty entertaining, (I too was surprised at some of my correct answers!) and as the site says, it's a far better way to spend your time than computer solitaire.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Thoul » Mon Feb 11, '08, 8:26 pm

Huh, that's a very interesting way to get people involved. According to the totals there, they've donated over 18 billion grains of rice so far. That's a huge amount. I didn't do it for very long, but I'll have to go back when I have more time and do it some more.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Feb 11, '08, 11:06 pm

lol, totally enjoying these words...I'm only at 2280, but I'm going on, and commenting before I close it and forget lol
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 15, '08, 3:07 am

I was watching Fox News Channels O'Reilly show tonight and at the end of the show he always reads emails from people commenting on the show, etc. Well, tonight there was an email from someone who had been to this " Free Rice " site and they explained about the words, the free rice, etc., and said they had gotten the word " popinjay" correct there because they had seen it on O'Reilly's show and knew the meaning.

I thought that was cool, lol. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Feb 17, '08, 6:40 am

Finished my round rather late, my mom came and helped me out. We got to level 43 and got 11000 grains. HAhahaha! My level was around 22. Plus I learned HOW they actually do this. Stupid advertisements.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Sun Feb 17, '08, 6:22 pm

The advertisements aren't so bad there. There's just one and it's for a good cause.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby snowdragon » Mon Feb 18, '08, 10:38 pm

i'm going to try this soon. i'll let you know how i did.
A Knight is sworn to valor,
his heart knows only virtue,
his blade defends the helpless,
his might upholds the weak,
his word speaks only truth,
his wrath undoes the wicked

(The Old Code - Dragonheart )
snowdragon
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 130

Return to Delectable Delicacies