Rap Fan sentenced to Bach

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Rap Fan sentenced to Bach

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 9, '08, 9:58 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27099954/?GT1=43001

So, do you think the punishment was befitting the crime, or did the Judge go too far in his sentencing?

What would you have done in this Rap fan's position, would you have paid the fine or listened to the classical music instead?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Rap Fan sentenced to Bach

Postby Srijita » Thu Oct 9, '08, 10:51 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Silver_Surfer1 wrote: So, do you think the punishment was befitting the crime, or did the Judge go too far in his sentencing?

According to the story you’ve linked, the judge wanted him to get a dose of his own medicine, by compelling him to listen to music that was not to his taste. By playing his rap music too loudly, he inadvertently forces everyone within earshot to share it – so it’s tit for tat.

In general, civilised societies should move away from the “eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth” precept. However, on rare occasions (particularly where physical violence is not involved), this type of creative sentencing can be edifying, not to mention downright amusing. :)

Whether an unorthodox sentence is appropriate has to be judged on a case-by-case basis. As a protective measure, the conventional penalty should always be available as an alternative – as it was in this case.

Incidentally, you refer to "his" sentencing, but according to the article you cite, the judge is a woman (Susan Fornof-Lippencott). :wink:

What would you have done in this Rap fan's position, would you have paid the fine or listened to the classical music instead?

I should certainly have listened to the music. Although I prefer the Romantic composers (Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Dvorak), an extended period of Bach would be no great hardship.

Conversely, if the alternative sentence involved listening to rap music for twenty hours (or even twenty minutes), I should have reached for my cheque book right away…
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Rudo » Fri Oct 10, '08, 2:29 am

I would have paid the fine. What's a few bucks matter. Life is short, so why waste it doing something you don't want to do. Silly judge. Cruel and inhuman punishment if you ask me. :yell:
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby Thoul » Fri Oct 10, '08, 4:06 am

It's an interesting approach to punishing an offense like this. It has the potential to teach the offender more than simply paying a fine would. By experiencing the very thing they did, they might get a better idea of why it was wrong and not want to do it again. Of course this wouldn't be acceptable for anything more than nuisance level acts, like this one.

Though I would have just paid the fine and been done with it, really.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Tootin' Tunes