Found this yesterday...

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Found this yesterday...

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 14, '13, 2:06 pm

Custom box, but I...just do not care.

In the box.

Beautiful label, in great condition, much better than the one I currently have.

Same goes for the top.

I'll be selling the copy I already have to the store where I found this one that looks so much better. Plus with a (custom) case. Finding one in the original box is VERY rare...and incredibly expensive. Even though this same store had one for $400 last time I was there, and it was sold while I was there.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Found this yesterday...

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 18, '13, 4:19 pm

Great find! It's nice to see such a popular cart in such well preserved condition. Whoever made the custom cover for that case did a great job, too. It may not be the original box, but a case like that goes a long way to keeping a game in nice shape.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jul 18, '13, 11:11 pm

Exactly - I like having a case, even if it's not the original, so it keeps the cart in good shape. And even as a custom case, it looks awesome! Plus I really don't anticipate getting the original box, without a TON of luck...and money that I just don't have. I got this basically on store credit for small locally owned/run place in Winthrop, as my boyfriend and I are moving in together in September and we were trading in all our duplicate games that we don't need (unless a game has value for multiplayer LAN, a'la Saints Row). The storeowner loves both of us and always gives us really great deals.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 19, '13, 6:17 am

Congrats on an awesome find!!! I know this made you very happy!! And, it looks in fantastic shape. :)
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jul 20, '13, 11:17 pm

So today we went back so I could trade in a few more duplicate games and the old copy of EarthBound I had. And I walked out with a repro cart of the original game in the EarthBound/Mother series. See below for the repro cart (and the other actual games I got - only other items I got were a new SNES power supply and an adaptor so my SNES can play NES games).

I think I be EarthBound crazy.

Wolf Bird

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 21, '13, 12:12 am

lol, congrats on more good finds. :clap:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 21, '13, 12:22 am

I'm willing to admit that I had no idea there was a Golden Axe III until I saw that cartridge. I love Golden Axe I and II, and I had a ton of store credit from trading games in (EarthBound alone went for $150), so I figured why not? I tried it out for a bit and yeah...that was worth it.

Edit: I have determined that any Fringer who visits the Boston area will both A) probably have at least a couch to sleep on and B) probably be taken to this shop.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Jul 21, '13, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby R-90-2 » Sun Jul 21, '13, 1:26 am

Wolf Bird wrote:I'm willing to admit that I had no idea there was a Golden Axe III until I saw that cartridge. I love Golden Axe I and II, and I had a ton of store credit from trading games in (EarthBound alone went for $150), so I figured why not? I tried it out for a bit and yeah...that was worth it.

I'm almost completely certain that the Golden Axe III you have is also a repro cartridge, as Golden Axe III was only originally playable in North America over the Sega Channel. The game never had a cartridge release in NA.

EDIT: It's definitely a repro- Any GA3 release in North America would be in 1995, and the cartridge front has one of the ratings of the old VRC rating system, which Sega abandoned in 1994 along with other developers in order to embrace the ESRB rating system as the industry standard.
Last edited by R-90-2 on Sun Jul 21, '13, 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 21, '13, 1:30 am

Yeah, I figured it was a repro, as once I saw that cart, I immediately did some research on my phone about it. No wonder I had never heard of it back in the day if it was just on Sega Channel, which I did not have growing up. Rather sad it hadn't seen a more widespread release back then.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Jul 21, '13, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby Tweeg » Sun Jul 21, '13, 1:44 am

Nice, wasn't aware that Golden Axe III existed either.

Does the NES Earthbound reproduction cart contain the English translated ROM or the original Japanese version of the game?
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Next

Return to Retro Roundup