Foods from other countries

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Foods from other countries

Postby Lemina » Fri Sep 5, '08, 12:38 am

Have you ever watched Travel Channel's "Weird Foods" or something similar? If so, what do you think about the food that he eats?

I've watched the show a couple of times, and I must say, people from other countries sure eat some crazy stuff! I think the one of the grossest things that he sampled was a beating frog's heart, eaten in Japan. :blank: is all I have to say about that.

EDIT: Well, crap. I knew that I felt Deja vu--I made this topic before! DX Oh well. Any new thoughts?

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri Sep 5, '08, 3:06 am

As much of a wannabe "armchair anthropologist" I like to think myself as, I find it difficult to eat some cultural foods that seem "taboo" to me due to my own culture (or lack thereof). I could never eat a frog's heart. Hell, I don't even eat the flesh of mammals, so I could never eat an organ! But, when I was in Paris, France - I couldn't eat the Foie Gras I was served, so I gave it to an eager French kid, who wolfed it down. ;)

I couldn't eat the following:

Body organs
Spiders and bugs
Lizards, reptiles, and amphibians
Squid, shark, octopus
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Srijita » Fri Sep 5, '08, 4:27 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Rune_Walsh wrote:Hell, I don't even eat the flesh of mammals, so I could never eat an organ!

I’m with you 100% on this one, having given up meat and poultry in my late teens.

Unfortunately for me, however, the elementary school I attended had compulsory school lunches. The British seem to think of offal as one of their delicacies. Some of the most traumatic experiences of my childhood consisted of being force-fed steak and kidney stew, under threat of punishment, or being punished for refusing to eat the stuff. Ugh! I’m glad those days are over.

I couldn't eat the following:

Body organs
Spiders and bugs
Squid, shark, octopus

I’d concur on all those items, except squid and octopus. I confess to having sampled both of those, at Chinese and Greek restaurants respectively, at the encouragement of men during dates. Both tasted all right (referring to the seafood :wink: ) and I probably wouldn’t be averse to trying them again some time.

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Lemina » Sun Sep 7, '08, 12:45 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:Body organs
Spiders and bugs
Squid, shark, octopus

Don't forget to add raw fish to that list~

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Re: Foods from other countries

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Sep 9, '08, 6:21 am

Lemina wrote:Have you ever watched Travel Channel's "Weird Foods" or something similar? If so, what do you think about the food that he eats?

I've watched the show a couple of times, and I must say, people from other countries sure eat some crazy stuff! I think the one of the grossest things that he sampled was a beating frog's heart, eaten in Japan. :blank: is all I have to say about that.

EDIT: Well, crap. I knew that I felt Deja vu--I made this topic before! DX Oh well. Any new thoughts?

No, I've never watched that show. It sounds interesting. I don't think I would ever eat a frogs heart either, though. That sounds gross. :wink: It is interesting the different foods that foreign countries have, though, and I suppose they feel the same way about some of the foods we in the States eat also. To each his own, I suppose.

I think one of the worst foods I have ever heard of is people eating dog meat. Yuck! I think it is actually a delicacy in some countries. I don't remember where off hand, but I think that's what I've heard.

This topic reminds me of another topic we had posted a few pages back on "There's no way I would eat that" or something similar. It was a bit sickening also, but very enlightening. :wink:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby luke » Tue Sep 9, '08, 2:30 pm

srijita, don't forget about black pudding as an essential part of the traditional bwitish breakfast! it looks so disgusting.

i belong to the same vegetarian camp as the two above, so i'll only venture out to eat things sans-flesh and fat. i'm almost always down to try new food involving vegetables and dairy, though.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Srijita » Tue Sep 9, '08, 7:55 pm

luke wrote:srijita, don't forget about black pudding as an essential part of the traditional bwitish breakfast! it looks so disgusting.

[face=Times New Roman]Oh boy, how could I forget? Thank heavens that abomination was never rammed down my throat. I believe black pudding is similar to the German Blutwurst, consisting of – wait for it – congealed blood. Good grief. And I've heard the Welsh have a taste for pig trotters. It makes me gag just thinking about it...[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Return to Delectable Delicacies