Bottled Water - Yes or No ?

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Do you drink bottled water?

Yes
25%
No
25%
Sometimes
50%
Other - explain in post below
No votes

Total votes : 4

Bottled Water - Yes or No ?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 10, '08, 7:41 pm

The post below about coffee got me to thinking about other types of drinks and that made me think of bottled water.

So, here's the question. Do you drink bottled water, and if so, what brand of bottled water is your favorite or taste better in your opinion?

Do you think there is that much difference in bottled water and tap water?
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 11, '08, 3:25 pm

Generally, no. I don't like the taste of any brand I've tried so I haven't been encouraged to drink the stuff. When I was sick a while back I did drink a lot of bottled water to keep myself hydrated, sometimes going through a few bottles a day. I couldn't taste it then, so I didn't care much about that aspect.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Sat Sep 13, '08, 4:11 pm

Did you know? Bottled water can cause wrinkles. Now you know!

I drink bottled water occasionally. I find that it doesn't taste much different from the distilled water that's sold in stores. Glaceau's Smart Water actually does taste sweet and clean, surprisingly. It's just not really worth the price.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Srijita » Sat Sep 13, '08, 4:19 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Lemina wrote:Did you know? Bottled water can cause wrinkles.

Really? That's a new one on me. :) I'd be fascinated to know from where you gleaned that piece of information, and the rationale behind it. Not that I doubt your word, but one has to take many apparent epidemiological associations with a hefty pinch of salt. There is a huge difference between a correlation and a causal link, and correlations themselves are sometimes tenuous. :wink:

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Srijita » Sat Sep 13, '08, 5:26 pm

[face=Times New Roman]Happily I’ve had the chance to look into it now. It is not mineral water per se that is purported to cause wrinkles, but the act of puckering one’s lips when drinking directly from the bottle.

Earlier this year, a dermatologist by the name of Dr Marilyn Berzin reported on an influx of young patients with premature wrinkles around their mouths. The appearances were similar to “smoker’s lips”, but none of the patients had a smoking history. What they all had in common was a tendency to drink from water bottles throughout the day. Drinking from certain types of bottle (sport, straw tops or nozzles) involves the same lip-pursing action as cigarette smoking. Doing so consistently over a ~2-year period may accelerate the development of wrinkles. I daresay it does not matter what is actually in the bottle, be it diet Coke, tap water, fruit juice, or some other beverage.

The recommendation is to drink from a wide-mouthed bottle, which allows the upper lip to stay relaxed while drinking. Pouring the drink into a glass, the conventional way, might be another solution.

Thanks, Lemina, for highlighting that. It was jolly interesting.
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 18, '08, 12:15 am

I read a little more about this today. I think there is some cause for concern over the plastic bottles themselves that bottled water tends to be in also. I suppose that's a valid concern.

But, it seems there is some kind of concern over practically everything we eat or drink these days, and what's in it or where it comes from, etc., etc., etc. That's not all bad, however, If everyone listened to all these things, we'd either be very healthy or we'd be starved to death. Take your pick. :yaknow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 15, '08, 8:57 pm

Today we have the findings of another study on bottled water:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27185076/

Doesn't sound too good, does it? :irked:

I would really like to know the names of the other bottled waters they used in this study. I want to see if the one I drink is on it, or not. :stir:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Lemina » Wed Oct 15, '08, 11:33 pm

Srijita wrote:[face=Times New Roman]Happily I’ve had the chance to look into it now. It is not mineral water per se that is purported to cause wrinkles, but the act of puckering one’s lips when drinking directly from the bottle.

Earlier this year, a dermatologist by the name of Dr Marilyn Berzin reported on an influx of young patients with premature wrinkles around their mouths. The appearances were similar to “smoker’s lips”, but none of the patients had a smoking history. What they all had in common was a tendency to drink from water bottles throughout the day. Drinking from certain types of bottle (sport, straw tops or nozzles) involves the same lip-pursing action as cigarette smoking. Doing so consistently over a ~2-year period may accelerate the development of wrinkles. I daresay it does not matter what is actually in the bottle, be it diet Coke, tap water, fruit juice, or some other beverage.

The recommendation is to drink from a wide-mouthed bottle, which allows the upper lip to stay relaxed while drinking. Pouring the drink into a glass, the conventional way, might be another solution.

Thanks, Lemina, for highlighting that. It was jolly interesting.
[/face]

When the study was first announced on the news channel, I was like, "Wha....? How can water be bad?" but then they revealed that it was the act of puckering the lips that caused wrinkles and not the water itself. The announcement was so misleading.
Sorry it took so long to respond. I was wondering if anyone would catch the catch of the statistic that I pointed out. XD
Contaminated water? Well that's kinda crappy. I guess a better choice over bottled water would be filtering out tap water yourself using those filter thingies that they sell. Nothing's perfect though--the filters couldn't filter everything out.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Lucas » Thu Oct 16, '08, 8:28 am

I drink bottled water here and there but in my tastes its not all that different plus it costs like $3 or $4 for a bottle when you can get it out of a tap or from your own home for nothing really.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Delectable Delicacies