Flynn's Tale - Permission to board? [Part 1] • Phantasy Star: Fringes of Algo

Flynn's Tale - Permission to board? [Part 1]

Stories set in a fan created roleplay universe inspired by Phantasy Star II, End of the Age.

Re: Flynn's Tale - Permission to board? [2/3 COMPLETE]

Postby Xander » Sun Dec 12, '10, 10:37 pm

DSS Excellion – 1 Hour 50 minutes to strike

“…And that’s it. Any questions?” Flynn stopped to scan the faces of his squad members, some upset by what they were being asked to do but none complaining. Deep down they knew it had to be done.

“Now I know this isn’t exactly the kind of position you want to be in, but our forces are spread a bit thin dealing with the other pirate fleets.
Besides, we’re being equipped for full trauma capability and are being given a couple of automated weapon platforms to help. We’ll have plenty heavy weaponry to hold our position until the technicians can complete their job. You’ve all received training on fighting in such an environment, so you’ll be fine as long as you’re careful.”
He stopped to give anyone time to speak. “Alright then, be back here ninety minutes from now to get geared up. Until then get some rest, have something to eat, whatever you need before the mission. I’ll be around if anyone needs me. Dismissed.”

He watched the others leave. “That went better than I expected. But normally they’re more talkative than this.”
But then everyone was on edge. And who wouldn’t be? This was a dangerous mission, no matter how well planned it was. His squad were basically there to attract the attention of every guard on-board the enemy ship. It was like stirring up a hive of Buzzers.

Flynn sighed. It was going to be one heck of a busy day. He had already fought a few battles on-board enemy ships, but none quite like this. He exited the room and decided to head for the armoury. Busying himself with the equipment needs of his squad would take his mind off things for a while.
Stopping at a window on his way there, he took a minute to gaze out into the void surrounding them. The planets of the Algo system were too far to be seen anywhere and the sun wasn’t in sight either, making him feel more isolated in the depths of space. He missed the warmth of the sun on Mota. He had been moving around so much since he had joined up he almost forgot how it felt. It reminded him of better days. “No! Don’t go there. Not now. Have to stay focused on what’s happening here.”

He tore himself away from the window and continued to the armoury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Esper Mansion

Claire was in the middle of her morning prayers when she was interrupted by a tugging on her skirt.

“Miss Claire. Miss Claire.”

“Don’t, stupid! She’s praying.”

“Ow!”

Claire ceased her praying and opened her eyes. She recognised the voices of two children and smiled. She turned to face them, a young girl and boy of about ten years stood beside her.

“It’s alright Helen. I was almost done anyway. Was there something you wanted to ask me?”

The young boy, Miles, was first to speak but he only managed to stammer and jumble his words. Clearly he had forgotten. Helen huffed and stepped forward.

“Actually we were told to come find you. Your class is starting in an hour instead of normal. And…”

Miles then yelped in surprise. “Oh! And the library wants some of their books back too.” He beamed with pride. Helen scowled and shook her head in annoyance.

Claire smiled and leaned down to him, ruffling his hair with a hand. “Thanks for letting me know.” She looked at Helen. “Both of you. Tell the librarian I’ll have the books returned by the end of the day. Was that all you had for me?”

The two children shuffled awkwardly in place. Miles was first to speak this time. “Miss Claire…”

“Yes?”

Helen interrupted this time. “Show us again Miss Claire! Show us that trick you did with the techniques! It's so cool! Pleeeease?”

Claire stood straight and placed her hands on her hips as she looked at them both.
“Well…alright then.” She hushed them before they could make more noise. “But promise to keep quiet. We don’t want to interrupt anyone else praying, now do we?” The two children shook their heads in response and grinned broadly.

Claire led them to a bench at the side of the hall and sat down, Helen and Miles standing in front of her so they could see what she was about to do. She cupped her hands in front of her chest and took a few breaths to compose herself.

“Ready? Ok, watch. There’s a lesson in it for you as well.”

Focusing her mind, she channeled a small amount of photonic energy into a Foi technique. A small sphere of red hovered in her hands. Taking a few moments pause, she then summoned up a sphere of Barta energy alongside it. The two children were already looking amazed by the display.
She summoned up another technique, this time Zonde. Three spheres now hovered in her hands. To complete the show she summoned Tsu energy, a bright ball of light appearing in the centre. She nudged them with her mind and sent the three spheres surrounding the Tsu energy into a spin. Helen and Miles were fixed on the display, both silent. Claire spoke again.

“Now can either of you tell me what this represents? Colours aside, what does this look like?” She watched them both trying to guess.

Miles was first to speak. “Oh I know I know!” This got him another scowl and slap on the arm from Helen, who hushed him. “Sorry. It’s Algo isn’t it?”

Claire smiled. “That’s right Miles. Three planets orbiting one star. Our star.” She extinguished the techniques after a few moments. “Now don’t you two have somewhere to do be just now?”

Miles again. “Yes Miss Claire. But we were excused so we could come and tell you.”

“Then don’t you think you should be getting back now? You might miss something important.”

Helen spoke again. “Miss Claire, why does everyone call you that?”

“What do you mean Helen?”

“Everyone calls you Miss Claire, but that’s your first name. Don’t you have a second name?”

Claire was taken aback by the question, but tried not to show it. “Now don’t you worry about that. It’s been so long anyway, people would get confused if they started calling me a different name, wouldn't they? Now why don’t you two run along and get back to class?”

They both addressed her at the same time before they turned and ran out of the hall, hurrying back to their class.

Claire sat a bit longer; trying not to dwell too long on the question she had been asked. After a while she rose and left the hall, reminding herself to take the books back to the library after her class.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xander
Reviews

PreviousNext

Return to End of the Age