The best innovation?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

The best innovation?

Postby Thoul » Mon Feb 16, '09, 5:14 pm

Phantasy Star IV had a lot of innovations and improvements over the previous games in the series. So many, in fact, that the Generation remakes copied a lot of them. A more complex story, with more involvement for each main character. The combination system and macros in battles. The chat system to remind you of the next major goal. Skills in addition to techniques. Those are just a few of them.

Which innovation do you think was the best one? If you could apply one to earlier games in the series, which would be the most vital to improve those games?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Tue Feb 17, '09, 2:42 am

Faster walking speed. The best innovation by far. :D If I could pick one and only one innovation to the earlier PS's I'd pick that one. XDD

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Lucas » Tue Feb 17, '09, 8:02 am

I'd say probably a more fleshed out storyline with anime cutscenes. Like in PSIV. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Snorb » Tue Feb 17, '09, 3:39 pm

The Collabo/Combo system's my favorite innovation, though I just didn't like Skills that much (they felt like reflavored Techniques).
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tsunami » Wed Feb 18, '09, 1:48 pm

Snorb wrote:The Collabo/Combo system's my favorite innovation, though I just didn't like Skills that much (they felt like reflavored Techniques).
Ditto on that, though I liked skills and they didn't seem like a rehash of techs to me. ^_^ They helped to make the large cast a little more diverse in battle, otherwise characters like Wren and Demi would be a little too similar, lol.

But man, I'd have loved to have the combo system in PSIII. It would've made the battles even more mindless! :mrgreen:

At least it'd require a little more thought than:

Rhys: *examines the battle icons*
Mieu: *looks over his shoulder* Pick the-
Rhys: *throws hands up in the air in frustration* Shh! I'm thinking!
Lyle: You should pick the small key. The fight's easy and will end in one round anyways...
Lena: *nods* It's only a couple of Chirpers...and a Moos...
Rhys: Okay! I've decided!
Wren: *readies shot*
-Silence falls over area, a Chirper sweatdrops and Moos twitches-
Group: ...
Lyle: Well?
Rhys: *hesitates* The big one?
Mieu: Good choice, Rhys! ^_^
Rhys: Thanks Mieu, it was a difficult decision to make. I wouldn't have been able to do it without your support! ^_^
Lyle: *facepalm*
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Feb 18, '09, 5:01 pm

I'm torn between the combo system and faster walking speed. I will admit...I think one reason I have so much trouble getting myself to play PSII and PSIII is because of how slow the characters move! I've played so many RPGs in which the characters move much more quickly and I just get annoyed at how slow they are in PSII and PSIII.

On the other hand, the combo system is just a lot of fun...

On second thought, screw it. Faster walking speed, definitely.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby hugues » Fri Feb 20, '09, 4:03 am

I would love to see something like the Hunter's Guild in the the other games. I recently played through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and it had a remarkably similar idea. I like having some optional side-quests to add a little more mileage and character development to the game.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Return to Phantasy Star IV