Macros

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Macros

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 5, '09, 1:23 am

We all know about the macro system in Phantasy Star IV, which lets the player set up shortcuts for specific commands to use in battle. But, how many of you really used it? Do you make use of it often or just ignore it? If you do use it, what commands do you typically set up in macros?

Personally, I tend to ignore it. I might occasionally set up a macro for everyone to attack, but I just like to enter the commands on the fly.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Thu Mar 5, '09, 3:08 am

Macros is kinda like the old Lunar's AI to me: You can set up your moves ahead of time and save a little time in battle with it; but it's really not that useful to me.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Mar 5, '09, 4:54 am

I always tended to have in the first slot, everyone attacking, strongest first. And in the last slot, everyone defending (This one was for experience purposes) and then I would have about two or three others set for combos. But otherwise I chose the partys actions.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Lucas » Thu Mar 5, '09, 7:22 am

I only ever used it on the third Darkforce and Lashiec. I had it set to use sanner and a couple of defense raise spells. To get me all set for the hard fight. Other wise I never really touched the Macros system.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby newsblade » Thu Mar 5, '09, 12:57 pm

I think it's very useful to set people/items/attacks orders and specially to prevent wasting of time when we need to do the normal attack to everyone.

I used that to be sure they first used Psychowand on zio to not waste attacks. Sometimes it was easier to perform combos with macros, like triblaster, [et al]. I also use it when monsters (in that area) are always vulnerable to some tricks like "fire" or "ice" (for instance).

The only thing I didn't find useful was the "shield option". I really don't know what was that for.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Mar 5, '09, 4:04 pm

I actually used it, at least a little. I would use it for combo purposes for times when they are REALLY useful (like blizzard against the sand worm for the Hunter's Guild quest) but I'd also sometimes use it when Demi is in the party. If I got stuck in a really tight spot in Nurvus or against Zio or whatever and I had multiple characters dying, I'd have a macro set up with her using Medical Power first then Rika following up with Sar if she knew it. That got me out of a tight spot more than once.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Srijita » Sun Mar 8, '09, 9:23 am

On my first play through, I scarcely used Macros, although I did create one in which everyone attacks but Rune defends (I generally give him two shields). Subsequent runs I've used and abused Macros to the point where I seldom enter individual commands. Part of this stems from an intense liking for combination attacks, which IMO are one of the best features of PSIV and generally more reliable with the Macro system. The other reason for my overuse of Macros is sheer laziness. :wink:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Return to Phantasy Star IV