Finally Started Playing My Nintendo Wii

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Finally Started Playing My Nintendo Wii

Postby S4Blade » Wed Dec 25, '13, 9:36 pm

Well I finally opened my Nintendo Wii and started playing it. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but hey cut me some slack. I have the entire Christmas day off with nothing to do, but laundry, so I figured what better time to try it out.

I have always been impressed with the quality of Nintendo hardware, and the Wii is no different. The console is sturdy, I like the slim cable on the sensor bar, and it looks pretty good plugged into my HD TV with my component cables.

I've found the Wiimote tracking is pretty good with the Wii motion plus. You kind of have to figure out with what intensity to make your movements with. No More Heroes requires some quick, fast movements, and other games allow slower movements. Overall, I think the tracking is better than the Playstation Move and the Kinect (both of which I have used before).

Setting up and configuring the console is easy, and I only put it online for a system update, and now it's purely an offline console for me. I didn't have any issue where the Nunchuck wouldn't sync with the system, like I did with the Playstation move.

I have all 7 games that I ordered from Amazon, and I will probably just play them all in a row until I finish them. Here are the games I got:

Castle of Shikigami III
Deadly Creatures
Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution
Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution 2
Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

I messed around with No More Heroes for a little bit, and now I'm playing Deadly Creatures since Wolf Bird recommended the game. It's a pretty cool game so far. Very unique, but it's a bit buggy at times, and the combat is kind of wonky with the Wiimote. I played Deadly Creatures for about 6 hours so far today.

Overall I'm pretty excited. This is the first new console I've put to use in a long time. Unfortunately not much else on the Wii interests me. I've done lots of checking, but these are the only games I could see myself playing.
Last edited by S4Blade on Sun Jan 5, '14, 12:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Finally Started Playing My Nintendo Wii

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Dec 25, '13, 10:32 pm

Good library. Deadly Creatures was a bit buggy and had some wonkiness, but the sheer uniqueness of the game made up for it. No More Heroes 1 and 2 are probably my favorite Wii games, besides Smash Bros. Madworld is also great fun and probably the most violent game I've played. Love the brutal, stark art style of that game as well.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Thu Dec 26, '13, 11:42 am

Yeah Madworld looks pretty cool, I'm looking forward to playing that. I will probably play No More Heroes next, since I already kind of started it. Deadly Creatures is interesting. I like how they give you the story in quick little bits. It comes off as being simple, yet effective. It's also a bit weird how you switch back and forth between the spider and scorpion every level. I get used to playing as one, and then I have to switch back to the other in the next level.

I'd say I probably like playing as the spider a little better. The scorpion is cool, but it gets kind of boring at times. I'm on level 8 of 10 already, so I'm pretty close to the end. I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Dec 26, '13, 12:44 pm

Madworld is cool. Imperfect, but still pretty awesome. I did find it a little bit on the short side and somewhat repetitive as what you start with is basically what you stay with (with increasing difficulty and short mini-games), but it was definitely a blast to play. Plus, it's also one of those games in which the normal enemies are mostly cannon fodder but the bosses are spectacular.

It's been over 3 years since I played Deadly Creatures, so my specific memories are a bit hazy on it. I do remember the story coming in short little bits, which is kind of nice as it keeps the gameplay flowing. But I can't remember if I like the scorpion or spider more. IIRC, the scorpion was a bit more combat oriented and the spider was more puzzle solving, so at least you have two different modes that are complementary.

Either way, it really is the definition of a hidden gem on the Wii, along with Madworld and I'd say the No More Heroes games also fall under that category.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby R-90-2 » Fri Dec 27, '13, 6:25 pm

There's also plenty of neat stuff on the Wii Virtual Console that's really difficult to find legitimately these days.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby S4Blade » Sat Dec 28, '13, 1:45 pm

R-90-2, I don't think there is anything on the VC that I MUST have. If you could recommend some stuff I might consider it, but I really don't plan on setting up a Nintendo account until I get a 3DS. There are a few 3DS games that I want to download.

I beat Deadly Creatures the other day. Kind of a disappointing ending, but the last 2 boss fights were a nice change of pace. I'm glad I played the game, just to experience it, but I doubt I would ever play it again. I would maybe give the game a 7/10 tops, but nothing more.

I started getting into No More Heroes. It's kind of a wacky, fun game. Lots of mature content in there, which I was not expecting. This is my first Suda51 game.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Dec 28, '13, 1:51 pm

I don't remember the Deadly Creatures ending, so I can't comment on that…unless the fact I don't remember it says something. ;) I haven't touched it either since I beat it, but I kept it and it's still on my Wii games shelf.

No More Heroes definitely earned its M rating, and not just for its violence. There's a lot of adult material there, and its kept through the second game as well. But is wacky and a LOT of fun. And oh man, the boss fights. Some of the best in any game I've played.

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Sat Dec 28, '13, 6:44 pm

I was expecting the violence, but I was kind of surprised at the sexual innuendos and frequent F bombs. I like it, I just wasn't expecting it. I've only seen two boss fights so far: Death Metal and Dr. Peace. They were okay, but nothing too great. I'd imaging that they get better. I like the flow of the game, but earning money can be a pain sometimes. The open world needs some serious help :laugh_lucca:

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Dec 28, '13, 6:50 pm

You're coming up on my favorite boss of the game. Not because of being flashy, but because of absolutely perfect balance of challenge without being unfair. The open world isn't good, but as it's a Suda51 game, I have to wonder if that's the point.

Wolf Bird

Postby S4Blade » Mon Dec 30, '13, 12:33 pm

I got through the next 2 ranks. I beat Shinobu and Destroyman.

Shinobu was a pretty good boss fight, but she was rather easy if you just take your time. I'm used to waiting for opportunities to attack from playing Ninja Gaiden, so it was second nature to me.

Destroyman was just stupid easy. More of a joke fight than anything else. Travis shows no mercy on him after the fight.

Now I'm just cruising around and looking for Lokikov balls to upgrade my skills. I've also found that playing the Assassination missions gets you the cash you need really fast. More so than picking up garbage and pumping gas from the job center.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Dec 30, '13, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Next

Return to General Gaming