15 Years of PlayStation

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

15 Years of PlayStation

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 10, '10, 12:33 am

Today marks the 15th anniversary of the original PlayStation's release in North America. The same anniversary for Europe is on the 29th of this month. What are some of your favorite memories of the PlayStation and it's games? What are the best games on the system, the ones that no fan should miss?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: 15 Years of PlayStation

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Sep 10, '10, 4:19 am

Man oh man...I SO remember getting one for Christmas so many years ago. And a few days later, getting Spyro the Dragon. Easily my most memorable game for that system.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 10, '10, 4:46 am

I bought my Playstation for Xenogears...

Nuff said there :D
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Sep 10, '10, 9:25 pm

Happy 15th Birthday to PlayStation. :cake:

Although my favorite system is the NES, this one is awesome also.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 10, '10, 9:51 pm

The PS had a lot of great RPGs. Grandia and Wild Arms were great series.I never got a chance to play Xenogears, but it's great there were so many RPG series that started on the PS and still continue today.

My personal favorite game was Spider-Man, though. It did a wonderful job of capturing the character and the world, the with proper amount of silliness, insanity, and great action. The What If mode was awesome, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Sep 10, '10, 11:36 pm

Mmm PlayStation. I remember I got my uncle's old PS one year for Christmas. I also got a GameShark Pro with it. It was sweet because it had 8 internal memory cards. A few games I remember hat came with it were Alundra 2, Spyro The Dragon, WWF Know Your Role, Legend Of Dragoon. uhh... I know there was more but I don't remember what they were.

What sucked is that a few years ago, my house was broken into and my PS was stolen and all my games except Alundra 2 (That was in my room for some reason). Since then I have been slowly regaining my PS collection.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby hugues » Sat Sep 11, '10, 4:50 am

I was working at a Waldensoftware (EBGames) store when the PlayStation launched and remember it well. At the time I wasn't so sure the system was going to be a success. We had already seen the Jaguar and 3DO flop, the Saturn had a several month head start, and Sony was new to the hardware market. I did play one before the launch and was extremely impressed but just didn't know if it would catch on.

We didn't have a lot of pre-orders for it but by Christmas season it was walloping all the other consoles. I remember selling dozens every day and then getting cleaned-out for controllers & memory cards on December 26th.

Here's a shameless plug for my recollection of the PlayStation launch: huguesjohnson.com/features/loser_phase/ ... n%20Launch

Despite working the launch I didn't buy one until 2003!! In 1996 I went back to college full-time and didn't have much time for gaming. When I finished school the first system I bought was an N64 (for Ocarina of Time), then a Dreamcast, then finally a compact PSOne when they went down to $50. It was actually a good time to buy one because so many good games were now dirt cheap. Chrono Cross was the first I played heavily and to this day it's one of my favorite RPGs.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Lyla2284 » Sat Sep 11, '10, 4:23 pm

I never bought a PSOne, but one of my brother's friend's had one years ago, and I still have some fond memories playing games such as Hercules and Need for Speed. ^^

Now I just have my PS2, but it's gathering dust.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby MrKite » Sat Sep 11, '10, 6:18 pm

I have alot of great memories of playing these:

Die Hard Trilogy
Megaman 8
Megaman X4
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Return to Retro Roundup