Final Fanatsy VI Advance was awesome

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Final Fanatsy VI Advance was awesome

Postby LordShibas » Tue Feb 3, '09, 5:47 pm

I just finished this game up a few days ago, and man was it incredible. I put about 50 hours into the game before beating it, making it my longest, single playthrough on a portable RPG ever. I could have beaten the game a lot sooner than I did, but I wanted to do all of the sidequests and do a good bit of leveling and AP grinding.

The port is really good, and the only thing that really suffers on the downscaling to the GBA is the music, but even the music is impressive for a GBA game. There is a new translation which may irk the fans of the SNES game, but I found the translation to be decent once you get used to it.

Overall it's a great game and quite possibly one my favorite games of all time. A heck of a lot better than the crappy Final Fantasy IV Advance port.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Tue Feb 3, '09, 5:59 pm

Did they include the hard version where as Dark Knight Cecil you have the energy wave attack from his sword?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby LordShibas » Tue Feb 3, '09, 7:53 pm

You must be talking about FF IV. Cecil is in IV. The GBA version of FF IV is not the hard version and has been made easier. On top of that it's a buggy mess of a game.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Tsunami » Wed Feb 4, '09, 4:15 am

I wish they'd make a decent remake of FFVI rather than milking FF for all its worth with all these ports and whatnot... Out of all the games in the series, FFVI is the best IMO.

But, to stay on topic, I'm not a fan of handhelds. :\ Never tried FFVI Advance either... Also, didn't they add a new esper and boss? :?
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Snorb » Wed Feb 4, '09, 4:37 am

Nerd mode on, Tsunami! =p

Four new Espers were added- Gilgamesh, Leviathan, Cactuar, and Diabolos. Can't remember how to get any of them except for Gilgamesh (wager the Excalipoor at the Coliseum and beat him up).

The new boss added was the Kaiser Dragon, who resides in the Dragons' Den, a new dungeon available in the World of Ruin after defeating the eight unique dragons going around the world

Nerd mode off! XD
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tsunami » Wed Feb 4, '09, 1:09 pm

Snorb wrote:Nerd mode on, Tsunami! =p

Four new Espers were added- Gilgamesh, Leviathan, Cactuar, and Diabolos. Can't remember how to get any of them except for Gilgamesh (wager the Excalipoor at the Coliseum and beat him up).

The new boss added was the Kaiser Dragon, who resides in the Dragons' Den, a new dungeon available in the World of Ruin after defeating the eight unique dragons going around the world

Nerd mode off! XD
Ah, thank you for the info. ^^ Curious about Kaiser, since in the FF3(6) rom there was an unused enemy called "Czar Dragon" that had its own dialogue at the battle start and was pretty strong. Though, its graphic is different from Kaiser's (just now looked it up) so I don't think it's the same enemy... :? Unsure what to make of it!

And hey, Nerd Mode = FTW! :mrgreen:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby LordShibas » Wed Feb 4, '09, 5:53 pm

Tsunami wrote:I wish they'd make a decent remake of FFVI rather than milking FF for all its worth with all these ports and whatnot... Out of all the games in the series, FFVI is the best IMO.

But, to stay on topic, I'm not a fan of handhelds. :\ Never tried FFVI Advance either... Also, didn't they add a new esper and boss? :?

Yeah, re-playing FF VI made me realize how much I love the game, and how nice it would be to see a decent remake of it, and I'm not talking about a crappy DS port like Chrono Trigger. I also think that FF VI is the best Final Fantasy game, followed closly by FF VIII IMO.

As for not being a fan of handhelds, that's up to you, but I think you should consider it. I was fervently against them no more than a few years ago, but the DS and PSP really changed me, and now I'm going through a bunch of old GBA games that I missed. I play my handhelds much more than I play my consoles these days.

Yes, there were a few new espers to get which were previously mentioned. I didn't play through the bonus dungeons, there are indeed some added features in there and I'm assuming a boss or two.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Thoul » Wed Feb 4, '09, 6:26 pm

So, the story and game play are pretty good on this one? I rented the SNES version once, years ago, and haven't played the game since. I never got to explore it very much back then. I do need to beef up my portable library some...
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Wed Feb 4, '09, 7:22 pm

I'd recommend it if you are looking to beef up your portable collection. The story and gameplay are excellent IMO. I'd definitely recommend it if you have never played the original SNES version all the way through. The Advance version can be found relatively cheap online for now, but it's becoming a bit more scarce as time goes on, so I'd recommend picking it up soon.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Celeith » Wed Feb 4, '09, 7:28 pm

I beat this game back in May of 08, its a great game. Great character development, I loved it when it was released on the SNES so many years ago. The seriousness of the plot, the clueless octopus getting pwned by a sweet little girl, the one game where the bad guy actually won and ruled the world. The game could use a serious remake, a DS remake for me would be about 30%, now if it was either a Xbox 360 or a PSP remake the game would be up at about 120% for me. I also loved the music, especially the new voice they gave Celes in the Opera scene.. Its one of my favorites. I got a save dedicated especially to that scene.

Also who are your favorite characters or who did you actually use for the final battle? For me it was..

Locke
Celes
Relm
Terra
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Next

Return to General Gaming