Tarantulas and fear

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Tarantulas and fear

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Nov 10, '10, 10:36 pm

Scientists have been studying tarantulas in respect to fears that humans may have:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101108/sc_ ... as_spiders

Interesting study, especially regarding the phobias, etc.

Anyone here afraid of tarantulas??

I don't know if I qualify as being afraid of them, but I certainly don't want to get anywhere near them if at all possible. :yikes: :lol:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Tarantulas and fear

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 10, '10, 11:18 pm

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, as far as having an actual phobia, but I would also prefer to avoid any spider that size. Some seem very docile from what I've seen on TV, but I bet they could be mean if angered.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby H-Man » Thu Nov 11, '10, 12:31 am

I hate them. Every single last one of'em. All arachnids must die long and horrible deaths.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Jack Lias » Thu Nov 11, '10, 2:20 am

I hate every and all spiders, and I think they should die a more painful and horrible death than H-Man was describing.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Nov 11, '10, 3:24 pm

I used to be terribly afraid of spiders. Then my neighbor's six years old daughter told me that her kindergarten teacher told her that all spiders were called "Bob". Giving spiders a generic, sympathetic name helped kids disregard their fear of it.

And you know what? It worked with me. Now, whenever I see "Bob", instead of twitching and moving away, I either leave it be or place it in close proximity to my cat. Apparently, according to my cat, Bob tastes great. And trust me, where I live, Bob can be awfully large. (Though in my region of the world, they are all harmless)
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 11, '10, 8:04 pm

Hm, that's an interesting way of dispelling a fear. Maybe I'll give that a try too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 12, '10, 12:02 pm

I don't mind spiders, but I'm definitely not the kind of person to go up and try grab one just because I'm comfortable with it sitting in the same area as me. I must admit though I do quite like tarantulas, I also find the little money spiders we have in Australia quite cute.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby H-Man » Fri Nov 12, '10, 12:46 pm

In Australia, you have those evil, EVIL hyper-venomous trapdoor spiders (or are they funnel-web spiders?) that scare me just thinking about them.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Nov 12, '10, 1:55 pm

I don't care about spiders. I'm never annoyed in the presence of one, regardless of its size. Sometimes I get myself carefully moving spiders to safer places.
And tarantulas, though big, usually are not dangerous and I like big and harmless spiders. Even the most dangerous spiders, which are present here in Brazil, hardly can cause serious damage to humans (only 2% of children bitten by them need specific medication).
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 12, '10, 2:25 pm

H-Man wrote:In Australia, you have those evil, EVIL hyper-venomous trapdoor spiders (or are they funnel-web spiders?) that scare me just thinking about them.

We have both spiders, although I’ve seen the trapdoor more than the funnel web. I can guarantee you we would have a trapdoor spider in our backyard somewhere. Pretty common, spider really although the ones I’ve seen have been quite small not big and round like some of them are supposed to get.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Next

Return to Amazing Animals