Favorite quirks of Phantasy Star I

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Favorite quirks of Phantasy Star I

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Jul 18, '10, 2:46 am

Particularly about Phantasy Star I that I just love, are the quirky sub-characters you meet and converse with. In this way, I would say that PSI is my favorite Phantasy Star game, because it has those memorable quotes and situations.

My favorites, for instance, are:

The bums who ask you to spare a cup of cola. If you say yes, they give you information. Otherwise, they call you a tightwad.

The guy in the gasmask warehouse who pretends to be the clerk.

The lying dezolians with the accent (conversely, I missed this aspect in PSIV).

Dr. Luveno's assistant who always says, "Don't bother me. I'm busy."

The robotcop who says with menace, "You are a fool! You will DIE!"

The secrets shop clerk in Scion.

Dr. Mad.

The jailed people on Palma.

The guy in Paseo who will trade your laconian pot for Myau, but askes you first if you'd spend billions of meseta for him. If you say yes, he calls you a liar. ;)

Any additions? Thoughts? Comments?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: Favorite quirks of Phantasy Star I

Postby hugues » Sun Jul 18, '10, 5:21 am

The cake shop buried in a dungeon - so many questions...

Why did he chose that location? Maybe it was a good location once and he can't bring himself to leave?

How does he stay in business? Maybe he's retired and just does it for fun?

Does he have to fight his way through monsters to get ingredients? Maybe he bribes them with cakes?

If the governor loves his cakes so much why hasn't someone else copied the receipe?
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Jul 18, '10, 9:06 am

hugues wrote:The cake shop buried in a dungeon - so many questions...

Why did he chose that location? Maybe it was a good location once and he can't bring himself to leave?

How does he stay in business? Maybe he's retired and just does it for fun?

Does he have to fight his way through monsters to get ingredients? Maybe he bribes them with cakes?

If the governor loves his cakes so much why hasn't someone else copied the receipe?

Ah yes, that damn cake shop.

Maybe Lassic HATES cake, and the poor man is hiding from him? :D
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 18, '10, 3:45 pm

Hmmm...this makes me push PS1 up a bit further in the 'games to play' list. Still debating, though, as I know there's a LOOOOOT of level grinding, not my favorite thing...

Anyway, it seems PS1 has a lot of goofy quirks. That's great...I love games that put in NPCs that aren't your generic townsperson drone and give them personalities. Unfortunately, it's something a lot of games fail to do. I want to hear more about PS1's best quirky NPCs.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tanith » Sun Jul 18, '10, 6:39 pm

Honestly, the whole laerma-nut-turns-Myau-into-a-pegasuscat is pretty quirky considering they had a spaceship. Is there a reason why the spaceship wouldn't get them to the air castle?

The jailed tarantula is one of my favorite PSI quirks.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Jul 18, '10, 8:46 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Hmmm...this makes me push PS1 up a bit further in the 'games to play' list. Still debating, though, as I know there's a LOOOOOT of level grinding, not my favorite thing...

Anyway, it seems PS1 has a lot of goofy quirks. That's great...I love games that put in NPCs that aren't your generic townsperson drone and give them personalities. Unfortunately, it's something a lot of games fail to do. I want to hear more about PS1's best quirky NPCs.

The leveling up... in PSI is BRUTAL, but only in the beginning. You have to spend time fighting monsters to level up and collect meseta to buy the roadpass and a better sword. Once you get a better sword, though, it gets a lot easier and more fun to play. But if you do decide to play the game, just remember to visit Suelo. A lot.

I do think you'll like PSI. The first time I played it was when I was very young, and the love of that game in particular stayed with me. It's full of quirks and is pretty suspenseful.

Tanith wrote:Honestly, the whole laerma-nut-turns-Myau-into-a-pegasuscat is pretty quirky considering they had a spaceship. Is there a reason why the spaceship wouldn't get them to the air castle?

The jailed tarantula is one of my favorite PSI quirks.

:lol: But then you don't get to see giant, winged Myau! And maybe there isn't much of a landing strip on the Aircastle?

Ah, yes, the jailed tarantula - probably the only time you talk to one without casting TELE.
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Sun Jul 18, '10, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby OhNoHumans » Mon Jul 19, '10, 2:08 am

The fact you can avoid battles by using the 'talk' command (or was it 'chat'?) or use Naoh's telepathy. This is what I liked most about it I think, and I don't know if there is another game with a similar feature. Besides I don't much like the idea of killing Motavians. Or Dezolians really, even if they seem to give more money than many of the monsters in the area.

And yeah I think you can blame Lashiec for lack of landing strip. (I guess by the time PSIV came around he felt differently about that kind of thing.)
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Jul 19, '10, 4:55 am

OhNoHumans wrote:The fact you can avoid battles by using the 'talk' command (or was it 'chat'?) or use Naoh's telepathy. This is what I liked most about it I think, and I don't know if there is another game with a similar feature. Besides I don't much like the idea of killing Motavians. Or Dezolians really, even if they seem to give more money than many of the monsters in the area.

Oh I agree. I couldn't find myself to kill the Motavians; I always use "Talk" with them. That's a pretty cool aspect though, about the game. I'd like how sometimes the Barbarians (er, Motavians) would say, "Hello!" And, "We want to be friends with people from Palma."

BTW: could you use "Talk" with the Dezolians? I think it was "Tele" I'd use...

OhNoHumans wrote:And yeah I think you can blame Lashiec for lack of landing strip. (I guess by the time PSIV came around he felt differently about that kind of thing.)

Heh! Good point. ^^
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Mon Jul 19, '10, 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Snorb » Mon Jul 19, '10, 5:18 am

Suelo: Don't worry, Alisa- if you ever need to rest, you're always welcome here.
Alisa: Thanks, Suelo. (heads out)

(one Wing Eye fight later)
Alisa: (staggers back in) Suelo! x_X
Suelo: Welcome back, Alisa. Rest up all you need.

(dooooooooOOooooot.)
Alisa: I feel great! Back out to grind some more! ^_^
Suelo: Be careful out there, Alisa.

(a couple of Sworm fights later)
Alisa: (covered in blood, lurches through the front door) Suelo, I... arrrgh...
Suelo: Please, make yourself at home.

(DoooOoooOoooooot)
Alisa: Much better! Thanks, Suelo! ^_^
Suelo: Take care, Alisa.

(a Wing Eye or three later)
Alisa: (dragging herself across Suelo's living room by her fingernails, an inch at a time. It takes her a full hour to get to the couch.)
Suelo: Alisa, there's a hospital down the street. Rainy and I can take you there-
Alisa: Couch... free...
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby OhNoHumans » Mon Jul 19, '10, 1:47 pm

^That is so cute... Suelo is like my favourite person ever... After Miki (perhaps?). And I assume it was the bombs in the sworm case at least. But she'd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen xD

Rune_Walsh wrote:Oh I agree. I couldn't find myself to kill the Motavians; I always use "Talk" with them. That's a pretty cool aspect though, about the game. I'd like how sometimes the Barbarians (er, Motavians) would say, "Hello!" And, "We want to be friends with people from Palma."

BTW: could you use "Talk" with the Dezolians? I think it was "Tele" I'd use...

OhNoHumans wrote:And yeah I think you can blame Lashiec for lack of landing strip. (I guess by the time PSIV came around he felt differently about that kind of thing.)

Heh! Good point. ^^

No, you couldn't talk to them, that just gets you a ray gun to the face. And those items with similar effects are so useless because the battle still goes on >_<

(The funny thing about those is that they have priority whereas if you really wanna run you gotta wait.)

And yeah, Lashiec was something of a coward here, so it adds up. Usually it's the other way around to do something smart like that later on, but having a grudge for that long and transcending death probably changes things a bit. :D
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Next

Return to Phantasy Star