Phantasy Star 1-4 Sound Effects

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Phantasy Star 1-4 Sound Effects

Postby defyantx07 » Wed Mar 16, '16, 2:39 pm

Does anyone know a website where they have the original series sound effects available for download? I'm looking for some sound effects to use for my android phone for notifications like text messages. In particular healing sound effects, like Gires and Wren's Recover from PS4. Any help would be appreciated! thanks
defyantx07
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 22

Re: Phantasy Star 1-4 Sound Effects

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Mar 16, '16, 3:14 pm

The most I'm able to find are soundtrack rips, but I can't find any just straight sound effects. I also did some searches on youtube for sound effect rips which you could in theory cut down to just the sound effects you want, but also came up dry.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 27, '17, 11:05 am

I've just tried to search and check some sound effects, as I am interested too, but it's hard to find ! :( Unfortunately...
And I've searched on some forums and apparently it's impossible to find ! But I'll continue ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Hukos » Thu Mar 2, '17, 3:03 am

I don't know of any place to download them, but there are disassembles of each of the PS games out there, maybe there's a way to extract them manually from that?
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Thu Mar 2, '17, 11:40 am

Ah, maybe the fact to find disassembles of each of the PS will permit to extract them ! But honestly in not really versed into technology so.. Impossible to tell you if it's possible ! But maybe someone here knows it ?
Last edited by myau56 on Thu Mar 2, '17, 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Hukos » Thu Mar 2, '17, 6:25 pm

Well, you'd have to basically know assembly language to do that and assembly language is a nightmare to traverse through for the uninitiated.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby myau56 » Fri Mar 3, '17, 11:55 am

Assembly language ? I've heard about it but i don't know it at all...even e nightmare for the initiated one ? So good luck ! Did someone knows how to "use" it here ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Hukos » Sat Mar 4, '17, 4:02 am

Assembly language is a low-level programming language. What that means is that its operations are largely 1:1 to binary machine code (or close enough, anyway). Because programming in binary is not fun, so this was considered a step up.

However, we've largely moved on past assembly onto higher level programming languages because high level programming languages are more abstract.

In C++, this is how you would get a console to display a simple message:
------
#include <iostream>

int main ()
{
std::cout << "Hello!" << endl;
return 0;
}
----

The important thing to know is that std::cout is just a command to display some text on a console (like the command line). That's pretty easy, right? Well, doing the same thing in assembly takes far more lines of code, because you have to specifically tell the program to do some important stuff that higher level languages already do for you.

The Sega Genesis (or MegaDrive) in particular uses the Motorolla 68000 (sometimes called 68k) processor so that's the assembly language you'd have to learn in this case. I've heard other people say m68k is one of the easier assembly languages to learn, but I still can't hack it for the life of me.

To understand why assembly can be nightmarish to read, look at this and tell me if you have any idea what's going on:

----
move.w #$068A, D0
move.b #$0A, D1
add.b D1, D0
jsr Object1

Object 1
mulu.b $#03, D1
divu.w D1, D0
rts
-----

Does that look terrifying to you? Because it does to me. And as far as I know, that is braindead simple level of code. There was a period where I tried to learn that stuff but I got burnt out on trying to learn how.

I've peeked at the Phantasy Star disassemblies, but I'd have absolutely zero clue how to extract any music data from them, that's for someone far smarter than I am.
Last edited by Hukos on Sat Mar 4, '17, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby myau56 » Sat Mar 4, '17, 11:49 am

OUCH ! I'm starting to have nightmares just looking at what you've written here : seems like a Saccubus has appeared ! :rofl:
Low level but annoying one as it seems !

I'm not so smart too so I'll let other people to check it and try to rip those sound effects ! (If it's possible but I'm sure the answer is a positive one !).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Hukos » Sat Mar 4, '17, 9:27 pm

MarkyJester wrote a pretty neat tutorial on m68k assembly... it just turns out I couldn't really wrap my head around it anyhow.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Next

Return to Phantasy Star General