Fan Games

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: Fan Games

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 21, '07, 6:05 pm

So, another blood item, huh... interesting. When you tested it as a dagger, did you have to change any of the stats for it?

It's a pity that it didn't work with the vehicles, but I'm glad it will be something you can use in your patch. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Jun 22, '07, 1:45 am

Yeah, as a dagger I had to change the stats to make it work; it only had defensive stats. I've switched it over to a shield now... I'll let everyone know when there are some links up.

Still delving into PSI now. I can't specifically find a damage algorithm, but I ran some tests giving characters and monster various attack and defense stats... and man is that game RANDOM!! Log of Odin maxed out against a maxed out defense: Miss, Miss, 2, 14, 3, 47???, 20, 17, 12, 33, 1... etc. Not to mention overflow bug madness, (that's why Noah with his puny Wand will do a ton of damage to a White Dragon, he's lapped around the counter so that he's actually powerful against a high defense.)

In my search for people with some data on PSI I came across a patch for the game, (has to be applied to the Japanese version,) where some people got together and added twice as much dialogue to the game. I've only tried it to see if it works, but it looks like it is worthy of a play-through! They used all the Japanese names for things. Here's a link: http://www.smspower.org/translations/phantasystar-en/
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Lamanai » Fri Jun 22, '07, 3:43 am

The Komrade wrote:In my search for people with some data on PSI I came across a patch for the game, (has to be applied to the Japanese version,) where some people got together and added twice as much dialogue to the game. I've only tried it to see if it works, but it looks like it is worthy of a play-through! They used all the Japanese names for things. Here's a link: http://www.smspower.org/translations/phantasystar-en/

I started playing that a few months ago and got up to Casba (if I remember correctly.) It's a lot of fun to play with the extra dialogue. ^_^
Lamanai
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Jun 23, '07, 12:41 am

Ok, my site with the patches is updated! Those should be the final updates, as I'm not even looking around the code anymore.

Oh, Thoul, I forgot to tell you that I added you to the credits section of that 2.3 update for suggesting I do something with the last NOTHING item!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 24, '07, 2:03 am

It had only defensive stats... hm, interesting. It must have been some kind of armor, shield, or accessory already. Oh well, at least it's useful now. :)

Thanks for the mention in the credits. :) I will try to get the patches updated in the downloads section here next week.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Jun 25, '07, 12:23 am

BTW, you're going to get a thanks for my PSI mod patch too! Having those save-states on here is a great idea! I can jump to wherever in the game without having to play all the way through. That alone will save me many hours in testing the new patch!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 25, '07, 7:20 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you're finding the saves useful. :) They really came in handy for me when I was making some of the images in the galleries.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Jun 25, '07, 11:49 pm

It's a great idea; every fan site should have a repository of game saves. When doing some work on PSII and IV in the past, I wish I had something like that at my disposal!

BTW, I'm nearing in on beginning the value changes on PSI. I've narrowed down the last few things I'm looking for, (if I can figure out Sega Master System Z80 Assembly!) and should be beginning work on the changes shortly.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Jun 27, '07, 12:00 am

A minor update: I finally found the guns in PSI, so I'm down to only three things before the remake patch gets going. As small as this game is, that won't take very long either. :)
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Jun 29, '07, 12:09 am

I've been asked what I'm thinking of calling my PSI patch, so here's a teaser until I'm done: PSI The Hordes of Nei. Battles on an epic scale, and I'll let you all dwell on the Nei part. :stir:
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More