Ys Seven

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Ys Seven

Postby Celeith » Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:46 pm

For all of those Ys fans out there the company that brought you Ys Book 1&2, Wanderers From Ys, and ect now bring you Ys Seven for the PSP. The game was released in Japan sometime last year but it is being translated and will be arriving on our shores sometime in August of 2010. For me being a a Ys fan I plan on getting this game when it comes out. Since there arent any English trailers out yet I'll just post the Japanese opening for those who want to see it.

Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Re: Ys Seven

Postby Thoul » Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:56 pm

Aw, it has to be for PSP. :( Still, the trailer looks great and another Ys game getting translated is always good news. I noticed a few references to Ark of Napishtim in the trailer. I wonder if the game play will be similar to that or something new.

This also reminds me, I saw a trailer for an Ys fighting game a week or two ago. It was Ys vs something I can't recall. I noticed it used a different character design for Adol than the one familiar to me. I guess it came from Ys 7.
Last edited by Thoul on Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:57 pm

Interesting trailer, I haven’t played any of the new Ys games I’ve only played Ys: The Vanished Omen which was on the Sega Master System. If I ever got a PSP this looks like a game I’d check out. (if it made its way to Australia that is)

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby xellos667 » Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:59 pm

Personally, XSeed has become my favorite "official" translation company. They brought us such niche title like Retro Games Challenge and Half-Minute Heroes, but I think that this news about the 3 PSP Ys made by Falcom (the crappy Ys VI port was made by Konami) and the 3 chapters of Legend of Heroes VI coming here in America made everyone worship them now. Add to that the fact that they will be using and giving credit to the already existing Fan Translation of Oath in Falganah, this is truly something unseen before.

Plus did you see the special packaging for Ys Seven, it's like we're back in the old days, when Working Designs were doing REAL Deluxe edition of their release (Atlus is still doing those from times to times, but nothing as big). Anyway, I'm a big Ys fan and couldnt be happier since it was announced few weeks (or few months, can't remember) ago!!!
Last edited by xellos667 on Wed Jul 14, '10, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Celeith » Thu Jul 15, '10, 12:48 am

You gotta admit though. Ys may not be one of the more popular known series like Final Fantasy, Super Mario, Megaman, ect, but its held its own for I think almost 2 decades now and is still going which I think is really great since some of the other popular games, IE Lufia, Terranigma, Earthbound, ect were really popular for their time but eventually stopped after the system they started on eventually became outdated. So I think its great that Ys is still going strong.. I just wish they'd release Ys online and the PS2 remake of Ys III Wanders from Ys over here.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby xellos667 » Thu Jul 15, '10, 1:29 am

Taito Ys remake on the PS2 were considered pretty crappy, and if they didnt brought the Phantasy Star Generations remake individually (not as a bundle like it was originally planned, before it was bombed from both American and Japanese side) because Sony thought they looked too much like a cheap budget title, you can be certain there's no way they will bring Ys III remake as a stand-alone title...maybe if it would have been packed with the 4 and 5 remake (and maybe the Port of 1&2)...but unfortunately, I don't think they would bring them now that the PS2 is dead.

Anyway, I don't think it would be too hard to just import it. It's not like the game is hard to figure out. I plan to do so myself one day. While the reimagining of Ys III in Oath in Falganah is truly the superior game, I still like side-scrolling action adventure game a la Zelda II (a genre not very frequent, even in the old days). Along with Zelda II, Monster Boy in Monster World and Dragon's Trap/Dragon's Curse, Ys III was my favorite game of the genre. So for nostalgia purpose it might be cool to try the remake...but beware, I heard that one of the reason it's so crappy is because there's no scrolling at all...like an old MSX game...You would think that in a PS2 era, they would know how to scroll a screen

As for Ys Online...well the "online" component of Phantasy Star killed the series in a way for me, so it's the same thing for Ys, I don't care at all. Ys is best left as a single-player action-adventure game (like Phantasy Star should have been left as a tradiotional single-player turn-based RPG ).

But yes, I think Nihon Falcom is the last standing independant Japanese company developping for the PC by themselves without any outside support (and now PSP too...though they did publish Ys V on the SNES, but it was the only exception...exception for those, every others port people know were just sold to third party company. They manage to live I guess by selling their copyright so that others can make port). Because they're here since the 80, and were able to survive against all the big video game name, that's quite an accomplishment in itself (when you think about others small company like TelNet who tried to survive against all odd, and finally had to give up and sold all their license to hentai products...it was quite a sad end..Hopefully, Sunsoft rebought recently all their licenses, and with Victor Ireland Gaijin Works partnership, there's a chance we might see title such as Valis or Exile one of these days on the Virtual Console...but that's another story...)!!! I remember having seen the Falcom official store in Japan, on one of the bonus video included in the Falcom Collection (either volume 1 or 2) for the Sega Saturn...the place is so tiny, and yet it was surviving...I wonder if it still exists today in 2010???

Sorry about those walls of texts, but after Phantasy Star, Ys is surely one of the series I'm always the most excited about...
Last edited by xellos667 on Thu Jul 15, '10, 1:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Schala Zeal » Sun Aug 8, '10, 6:01 pm

The opening looks cool; I like both the music and the artwork. Though, I haven't played many Ys games before. Could someone fill me in on what the game play is like?
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Darkil » Sun Aug 8, '10, 11:07 pm

I am so glad I pre-ordered this on Amazon [special edition of course]. I love Ys and cannot wait for a new one ::contains glee::
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 9, '10, 8:58 pm

Schala Zeal wrote:The opening looks cool; I like both the music and the artwork. Though, I haven't played many Ys games before. Could someone fill me in on what the game play is like?

It's one of those series where the game play has changed in different installments. Ys III on the SNES/Genesis was a side scroller, sort of like Zelda 2 but with stronger RPG elements. The Ys: Ark of Napishtim, which I think was the last one, was a top down action adventure game. I can't describe it too well, so maybe that's not very helpful. There are videos of it on Youtube though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Sat Aug 14, '10, 7:07 am

You could say Ys: Ark of Napishtim was more like a old school Zelda game being a top view game but with a more 3D aspect to the world allowing more movements then the limited days of the NES Zelda, but far more advanced then the style of Zelda Triforce of the Gods (Aka Link to the Past) on the SNES.

Also I believe XSeed is also bringing Books 1&2 over here on the PSP. Even though we did get a DS version of the books I believe I heard the PSP versions are going to be 100x better then its original and DS counterparts.
Last edited by Celeith on Sat Aug 14, '10, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Next

Return to General Gaming