new fan game up and coming

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

new fan game up and coming

Postby Rulakir » Tue Jan 15, '13, 11:24 am

Hi guys, I've been on various Phantasy Star sites advertising my new amateur fan game. It's called "Phantasy Star: The Algol Chronicles" and will be a complete re-write of all 4 classic games into one long adventure.

The changes are many and long to list, but the classic feel stays the same, I have made a brief video demo you can see, but I can't post videos yet.

It still resembles RPG Maker VX somewhat. I know Java and some C++, however I think I'll stick with an RPG Maker, since most of the groundwork is done for me, it would probably take me 2 years to write an engine that will do most of what rpgmvx already does.

I'm in the process of modifying the scripts, and compiling all the sprites, but Alis' quest is sprited and scripted up to the Succubus fight at present (without event scenes, those will come later)

Using the Generation 1 and 2 graphics for my base. Heavily modifying them to fit in Phantasy Star 3 and 4. Hope people like my idea, and if not.. well... it won't stop me :D
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 21

Re: new fan game up and coming

Postby myau56 » Tue Jan 15, '13, 1:01 pm

Great news ! I've just seen the trailer : seems to be really great !!!! :fiery:
I like the idea so much ! So continue and I'll follow it the most I can.
Give us some informations on it as soon as possible ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Jan 15, '13, 2:38 pm

New projects are always welcome.

Just be aware that you might get lukewarm interest in your project until you have some solid demo to show. Throughout the years, there have been tons of people starting fan-games and never finishing them; the community got used to the idea that fan-games are pipe dreams that never happen. We even had someone go up to a 10+ hours demo of a very, very solid PS4 remix before she lost interest and moved to other projects.

At any rate: if you're honestly serious, you pretty much found one of the real remaining PS fan sites so, milk it for all its worth.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Rulakir » Tue Jan 15, '13, 3:15 pm

Oh indeed, I've been around the fan game scene for a decade now, I have been involved in many such games in that time, usually as a spriter and concept designer, but never as a scripter, programmer, or solo project manager. So I know how these things go, sadly.

The only time I stop becoming motivated is if I'm missing a resource that has an impact on my game. Example: for about 3 months I was missing a decent sprite set to use for certain PS3 bosses (namely the human ones) and so I avoided working on those parts of the project, however recently I managed to chop a couple together and got something that looks decent enough to get me excited about the PS3 section again.

Lyle enemy sprite:
Mon_Lyle.png
Mon_Lyle.png (27.27 KiB) Viewed 6502 times

I plan to work on it a little more (like shading out he chest guard), but it's adequate enough to work atm for me to test battles and stuff (I so abbhor using the original sprites.)
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jan 20, '13, 2:56 am

Good luck with your quest and we will be looking forward to seeing all you accomplish!! :clap:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 20, '13, 4:01 pm

Yes, there have been a lot of old projects of fan-made games that have been announced and were never "published" but a new project is always welcome !
Keep up the good work and continue it with passion ! :grouphug:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Rulakir » Mon Jan 21, '13, 3:31 am

Indeed, 90% of fan games never make release.

I'm working towards a demo, just trying to figure out where to 'stop' said demo. It will probably stop after obtaining Noah, before visiting Gothic. Since the majority of that side of Palma isn't done yet.
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Mon Jan 21, '13, 3:10 pm

You have already done that ? Great ! I'm eager to try this demo soon but....take the time you need to take ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Rulakir » Tue Jan 22, '13, 10:07 am

The time consuming part at the moment is mapping the entirety of Mota, Dezo and Palm. I am using parallax mapping so it means I have to actually draw the maps in photoshop, tile by tile assembly. Towns and dungeons aren't too bad, even the Alisa III environments aren't that bad, but the actual overworlds of the major planets are around 4000x4000 pixels in size, a daunting task x_x
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Tue Jan 22, '13, 12:24 pm

Good luck for the following to come ! It's very interesting to see how you work so don't hesitate to tell us about it.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More