Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Expiration Dates
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, '09, 7:34 pm 
Most sold in stores these days comes with an expiration date. Sometimes it's "sell by" or "use by" or "best by." When you're buying food, do you check the dates a lot? If you've got something at home and it goes past the date, do you throw it out or still use it?

Post subject: Re: Expiration Dates
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, '09, 8:08 pm 
I try to be careful with this, seeing as how I got food poisoning from spoiled coffee cream about two weeks ago. :ill: But I don't always succeed. It depends on how old and I usually go by smell. If something is truly spoiled it usually won't smell right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, '09, 9:44 pm 
My mother is an absolute stickler over this. If something is even a day old, it's gone. Honestly, I can't help but hold the same habits. :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, '09, 1:35 pm 
I absolutely go by this. I drank milk one time that went bad 3 days before the expiration date and I think I'd rather eat mud than go through that again. Sometimes I've eaten something that expired and it didn't effect me, but with all these diseases going around [i.e. e-coli in cookie dough] I don't take many risks when it comes involved with that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, '09, 5:37 pm 
Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else, I check the dates (or try to) on just about everything I buy. If it is past the date, I usually throw it away. If it is on the exact date or close, then before I buy I look for a later date. If it is at home and on the day of expiration, sometimes I smell it to see if it's okay and go buy that, for that day only. I've never been sick that I recall because of having something already expired, but that's because I try not to take a chance with it.

It's better to be safe than sorry later!

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]