Ew...You like them?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Ew...You like them?

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Wed Jun 24, '09, 3:48 pm

Okay, we all know taste in music differs, but have you ever listened to someone that no one else liked?

I know now, for me, I get made fun of for listening to the Backstreet boys in the past and being an avid fan (What can I say, I thought Kevin was hot :sweat: ) It's something I get laughed at alot for even if I still don't listen to them.

Along with that, most people dislike the fact that I enjoy Finnish metal bands. So when I mention them, I always get a "...." or a "....okay, why are you listening to that?"

So tell me who you've liked that others have made fun of you for
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Re: Ew...You like them?

Postby Darkil » Wed Jun 24, '09, 4:20 pm

I am a complete Metal head and of course most people gave me those looks as well. I think the strangest looks I got was telling folks my favorite band in the world is GWAR. Those certainly elicited some :o responses :lol:
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Wed Jun 24, '09, 4:25 pm

Lol, I've heard of Gwar. I think the Finnish band Lordi is pretty much just like them. They were masks and everything but the music isn't really as hardcore.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Darkil » Wed Jun 24, '09, 5:11 pm

Another couple of bands that I'm really into is Graveworm and Stormlord. Both are mostly underground although they have a few CD's out.
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Wed Jun 24, '09, 5:30 pm

Yeah I can't say I've heard of them. Maybe someone posted up some songs on youtube.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby bretlin » Wed Jun 24, '09, 6:21 pm

I love listening to metal music and I get quite a few strange "ew... you like them?" looks when I tell them, "Oh, I like listening to Carcass or Cannibal Corpse, GWAR, Death..." and so forth, LOL. However, I think the one hilarious "ew" responses would be from my own metal friends when I tell them I like listening to 80s metal ballads. That there is its own lengthy conversation about bands selling out and so forth... but hey, some of those guys wrote some nice, romantic pieces IMO!
bretlin
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Darkil » Wed Jun 24, '09, 6:55 pm

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with 80s metal or 80s metal ballads. I dare any metalhead from back in the day [a Wednesday for those keeping track] to say they didn't dig some of those. Now obviously I PREFER listening to more heavier, faster metal but I agree with you Bretlin, there are some excellent songs written by the metal bands in that decade.

Neko - Stormlord is on Youtube. I accidentally found them on Myspace lol. Graveworm I discovered from the Metal channel [channel 910] for those with cable as nice as mine [which includes the music channel's with the normal package].
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Wed Jun 24, '09, 7:09 pm

Nice :D I'll look them up. My favorite finnish metal bands are: Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Lullacry, and Lunatica. I also like the german techno artist E Nomine which is known for having more religous songs but they sound so great. It's either very religous, or based on the evils in the world. They have one based on Dracula, another based on werewolves called wolfen. Awesome stuff :D

As for 80's bands - I don't know about metal but I know I need to thank Guitar Hero for getting me into some 90's rock songs. I never really listened to them before but they had some pretty good songs. Even if the era was a fashion disaster ((80's fashion scares me))
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 24, '09, 10:50 pm

XxEnslavedNekoxX wrote:My favorite finnish metal bands are: Sonata Arctica

Rock. \m/ They freaking RULE and I am stoked for their new album later this year. I'm rather hopeful that since I will be moving to a city with more concerts soon, I may be able to see them live again once they're touring for the new album.

I like most of the same music that's been mentioned here. 80s metal did have some of the best power ballads, I'm going to point mostly to Queensryche for that. So a few specifics...I mention 'Porcupine Tree', a British prog-rock band to most people and they laugh. Not because they've heard of them or anything, but because yes, the name is a bit humorous. But after they hear that name, they won't take anything about how amazing they are seriously.

I get a bit laughed at for liking Within Temptation and Evanescence for being 'emo'. Yes, there are some 'emo' songs I suppose. But man I HATE HATE HATE that term and there's WAY more to both those bands than that!

Some people get a bit of the 'ew, you like that?' when I mention some bands like Disturbed, or those that do the death or other growly vocals, like Ensiferum, Opeth and Scar Symmetry. Assuming people have heard of the above, especially the last, otherwise I get the 'wait, who?' look.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jun 25, '09, 1:06 am

Caged Wolf wrote: Assuming people have heard of the above, especially the last, otherwise I get the 'wait, who?' look.

I think that about sums me up fine. :lol: :wink: :yes:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Tootin' Tunes