Evo 2014 Game Line Up Revealed

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: Evo 2014 Game Line Up Revealed

Postby Shen-FN-Woo » Tue Feb 11, '14, 12:48 pm

myau56 wrote:
VistaBlade wrote:Welcome my friend ! I've never been a Mortal Kombat fan too ;) This serie is so boring.. and was from the beginning...:(

Mortal Kombat 9's pretty good though. The best one they've ever made. Nothing like the others.

What with fighting games sucking miserably lately, it's kinda hard to find much to play nowadays. GGAC+R kinda sucks, and that's the game I made my competitive fighting game career in. I hear Skullgirls got temporarily canned, and now MK9 isn't in the list for evo this year? Wow. With that, there's only 4 out of 7 games worth even watching. Geez.

Though I'm glad Tekken and SFXT got dumped. They were both boring to watch. DOA5 I wouldn't mind though, but the game seriously needs a few balances.
Last edited by Shen-FN-Woo on Tue Feb 11, '14, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shen-FN-Woo
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 24

Postby S4Blade » Tue Feb 11, '14, 2:52 pm

Hey Shen-FN-Woo, what characters do you use in Guilty Gear? I haven't played the "R" version yet, but I use Millia Rage and Chipp Zanuff.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Shen-FN-Woo » Tue Feb 11, '14, 3:03 pm

I've been with the game since the beginning, and used to play a myriad of characters, but mainly I focused on Sol Badguy, and never dropped him since Guilty Gear: The Missing Link.

GG:TML - Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske
GGX - Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, Testament, Axl, Gear Ky
GGX2 - Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, Axl, Testament, Anji Mito, Millia Rage, Chip Zannuf, Robo Ky, Jam, Baiken
GGXR - Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, Axl, Testament, Millia, Baiken
GGXS - Sol Badguy, Order Sol, Ky Kiske, Axl, Testament, Anji
GGXAC - Sol Badguy, Order Sol
GGXACR - Sol Badguy, Order Sol

As you'll notice from my list, as the games kept coming out, my list of playable characters grew smaller and smaller. That's because the amount of work you had to do to play each individual character grew more and more, and the reward you got for doing the more work became less and less. Pretty much to the point it wasn't worth playing the game to learn everybody, just your specific character and how they fight against everyone else.
Shen-FN-Woo
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby S4Blade » Tue Feb 11, '14, 7:14 pm

That's the same problem that a lot of fighting games have these days. They have gone through so many interations and added so many characters and moves to the characters, that it's near impossible to wrap your head around it all.

Tekken is currently having this problem. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is a great game, but no one wants to take the time to learn everything in the game, so people are intimidated by it and don't play it, or they will learn their specific characters and that's it.

That's why every now and then you will see a player enter a tournament with a character that no one plays and he will give the top players a serious run for their money. Kind of like how ApologyMan beat some of the top players with his Super Skrull/Frank West combination team in UMVC3 because no one knew how to play against him. Top players learn very fast, and that's what makes them great, but sometimes the shock factor of an opponent playing an unorthodoxed team is enough to mess with their heads.

By the way, if anyone here is looking to check out a fighting game tournament with a lot more variety than Evo 2014, I'd suggest checking out SoCal Regionals 2014. It's at the end of February and they are playing 20 different games. Here is a list:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/feb/ ... -and-more/

I'm more excited for this than Evo 2014.
Last edited by S4Blade on Tue Feb 11, '14, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Feb 13, '14, 3:58 pm

VistaBlade wrote:That's why every now and then you will see a player enter a tournament with a character that no one plays and he will give the top players a serious run for their money. Kind of like how ApologyMan beat some of the top players with his Super Skrull/Frank West combination team in UMVC3 because no one knew how to play against him. Top players learn very fast, and that's what makes them great, but sometimes the shock factor of an opponent playing an unorthodoxed team is enough to mess with their heads.

I once did this with a Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament. I entered as Ness, probably one of the most unorthodox characters on the roster. I placed second, after a guy who entered as Bowser…also not one of the more common characters for competitive play. I'm willing to admit, when you do something like that, it is fun to have people laugh at you ("Oh, LOL, Ness sucks") and then wreck them once they realize you know how to play the character and they don't have a clue what to do against you. I do the same thing with Pit in SSBB, as people expect against you to spam his arrows and side special…which I don't do and I instead use his insane aerial maneuverability, which is against everyone's expectations.

Anyway, with my limited knowledge, I can see how some major titles and series are missing from the EVO lineup this year. SoCal seems like a more interesting event and better reflection of the fighter community. Now, I'm not that big on competitive play for fighting games (or really, fighting games in general, some exceptions), but I have a LOT of respect for people that delve into these games and characters so deeply. Really shows love for the games. But part of what does turn me off is how incredibly complicated these games have gotten in the past few years.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Feb 13, '14, 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 13, '14, 9:48 pm

Shen-FN-Woo wrote:
myau56 wrote:
VistaBlade wrote:Welcome my friend ! I've never been a Mortal Kombat fan too ;) This serie is so boring.. and was from the beginning...:(

Mortal Kombat 9's pretty good though. The best one they've ever made. Nothing like the others.

So have to play and test this Mortal Kombat 9 ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Fri Feb 14, '14, 3:40 am

Wolf Bird wrote:
Anyway, with my limited knowledge, I can see how some major titles and series are missing from the EVO lineup this year. SoCal seems like a more interesting event and better reflection of the fighter community. Now, I'm not that big on competitive play for fighting games (or really, fighting games in general, some exceptions), but I have a LOT of respect for people that delve into these games and characters so deeply. Really shows love for the games. But part of what does turn me off is how incredibly complicated these games have gotten in the past few years.

SoCal Regionals is going to be great, I'm looking forward to it. The complexity of fighting games is a big turn off for me too. I really like the games, but it's hard to focus on one game and play it for hours on end. Filipino Champ (one of the top UMVC3 players in the US) said that he practiced for over 8 hours per day in the weeks leading up to Evo 2013. The sad part is that the payouts for winning tournaments is not very great, and that's a lot of effort for such little reward.

However, there is a movement going to increase the entry fees for Evo 2014, which would increase the payouts by a lot. Check this out: http://shoryuken.com/2014/02/13/evo-201 ... and-umvc3/

This poll is seeing the response of fighting game players if they were to increase the entry fees for the tournaments in order to increase the payouts. I think it's a good idea, and it would be a lot more motivation for people if the pots were higher.
Last edited by S4Blade on Fri Feb 14, '14, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Shen-FN-Woo » Fri Feb 14, '14, 7:03 am

myau56 wrote:
Shen-FN-Woo wrote:
myau56 wrote:

So have to play and test this Mortal Kombat 9 ! :)

You'll have fun, definitely. It's like a mixture of Mortal Kombat 2 (the best classic MK there is) and Street Fighter 3 3rd strike.

VistaBlade wrote: SoCal Regionals is going to be great, I'm looking forward to it. The complexity of fighting games is a big turn off for me too. I really like the games, but it's hard to focus on one game and play it for hours on end. Filipino Champ (one of the top UMVC3 players in the US) said that he practiced for over 8 hours per day in the weeks leading up to Evo 2013. The sad part is that the payouts for winning tournaments is not very great, and that's a lot of effort for such little reward.

I don't think fighting games are as complicated as you may think. It's that players, what with their various social backgrounds and what not try to introduce their own terminology into the fray, and the "nerds" complicate and expound upon that. It's an agravating thing, as a lot of people can get turned off by seeing this kind of thing and thinking there's way too much to deal with, when there is in reality quite little to the games than what the communities would imply. For example, terms like "footsies" and "execution" get complicated well out of proportion, to a point where you have a 10 page letter to read when really, once something has so many definitions to it, it should be broken down to the simplest meaning and the rest should be quartered off to other terms.

For example: SRK, or some similar site, I forget which one, has an article on what footsies is. It was a huge page, and highly unnecessary - Footsies defined as: Spacing your opponent, zoning your opponent, knowing the optimum range of your attacks, attempting to punish any whiffed attacks, knowing the correct attack to use in order to beat out your opponent's, all in hopes of getting a knockdown so that you can finally go in for the assault.

This whole definition is clunky and unnecessary. Heck, the term is unnecessary the way it's currently defined, because it could be better defined as "how to play the friggin' game" :P . Because of that, I simply define "footsies" as limb chopping, or hitting an attack with an attack, regardless of how harsh a reaction I get from the fighting game community.

So again in short, it may not be the fighting game that's complex, but the language barrier that the community introduces into it (this isn't to undermine what I've said previously about games actually trying TO BE complex though, as most fighting games are actually quite simple).
Shen-FN-Woo
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 14, '14, 12:15 pm

It's true that Mortal Kombat 2 isn't too bad, even if I'm not a great fan ! But Street Fighter III third Strike is definitely a very good game !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Fri Feb 14, '14, 3:11 pm

Shen-FN-Woo: I think that footsies are similar to "neutral game". In that they are basic gameplay fundamentals that the Fighting Game Community has labeled, in order to further convolute the terminology. I think what it boils down to is that they are trying to label a certain "state of mind" when they play, and it's stuff like this that makes it seem complex.

Learning the terminology for fighting games is another intimidating aspect because a lot of the terminology applies to only certain games or certain sets of games, and understanding it is helpful for high level play. Things like frame data, tech rolls, and option selects take time to really understand, but you are right in saying that most of this knowledge is not necessary. Plenty of players just play the game and don't care about the in depth aspects and end up doing fine.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming