Ever had a virus?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Ever had a virus?

Postby Thoul » Mon Apr 13, '09, 9:16 pm

A computer virus, that is. Have you ever had a computer infected by one? If so, how bad was the infection? Someone brought me a laptop this weekend that was infected to see if I could fix it. So far, I've cleared off over 500 infections. I've had small encounters of one or two infected files at a time, but this is by far the worse I've ever seen.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Ever had a virus?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Apr 14, '09, 12:57 am

I think I've had one or two troubles with viruses but nothing that bad. Yikes! :yikes:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Tue Apr 14, '09, 2:05 am

Certainly never anything that bad. Although I did have a plague of virii on my old comp for the longest time.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Apr 14, '09, 2:10 am

Well, I know that over time, PCs inevitably accumulate all kinds of worms and viruses, most of them probably not doing a whole lot. But 500?! Wow! That computer must have been in very poor shape with THAT many viruses. Personally, I've never had any viruses or anything really. A few trojans here and there, but I've been able to totally remove them. Guess AVG has been doing its job for me. However, about a year ago, my roommate had a problem with a virus that took some effort to purge from her system.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Apr 14, '09, 2:57 am

Yeah, this laptop was completely unusable when it was brought to me. I've managed to get it back into a working state, but I'm not certain I've ferreted out all the infections yet. It needs some Windows updates before some of the security software I want to put it through (like AVG) will install.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Tue Apr 14, '09, 6:59 am

Many of the Viruses I have had have been trojan horses. But nothing to serious I scan my computer for viruses once a week and have the scanner set to auto-update so everytime I connect to the net it is updated. Thankfully I haven't had 500 viruses before. :relieved:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby LordShibas » Wed Apr 15, '09, 1:46 pm

Not on my own PCs, but I've removed them from countless computers. I don't even use AV software either. I only go to like 5 sites on the internet and I know they are all safe.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 6:22 am

I'm not smart when it comes to computers so I get virus's very easily. I've had three computers destroyed so far due to virus's and people hacking into my computer.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 22, '09, 1:59 am

Worst piece of malware I've ever found on one of my computers was a keystroke logger, and that was a long time ago.

I'm running SpyBot Search & Destroy with the Tea Timer enabled and that has so far prevented a lot of bad stuff from being able to install.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 22, '09, 4:26 am

I hope you have some anti-virus software and such installed, E-Neko.

Now, I have a Mac...and there are like 70 viruses out there for Macs and all are easily avoidable if you're careful. But I do know that more people are writing malware for Macs since they're getting more popular.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Casual Conversation