Ever had a virus?

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Ever had a virus?

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 9:14 am

I do for the moment. But everytime I get a virus program the program ends up with a virus and it goes haywire. It's horrible. I should take a computer class but I'm afraid I'm not that smart. :cry:
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:23 pm

Just ask us and we'll help you out E-Neko! I have found the best anti virus program, that's free, is AVG. It has a firewall which will help prevent nasties from coming onto your PC. As far as spyware/adware removal I use Asquared and Ad-aware [although you probably won't need 2 if you have a good one]. There's lots of options for you but I found these 2 work good for me. Anyway hopefully that'll give you some insight, but again we'd all be glad to help you find one that would work best for you. Of course free is better than cheap!
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:27 pm

Yeah, fully agreed with Darkil on AVG. It's what I used on my old computer and I never had a serious virus, just a trojan here or there (easy to remove) and of course, spyware, which you can remove with ad-aware or spybot. All those programs have free versions, and the paid versions just contain some extra stuff that aren't worth it for a home computer user. The paid versions seem more aimed at businesses and colleges that have networks.

Or if all else fails, get a Mac or partition your hard drive so you can install Linux, both of which have few viruses to speak of. :wink:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:35 pm

Nice, I'll have to check those out when mine goes under. But I think I'll also need a program to help prevent virus's sent by hackers. That's what I get most of the time. I don't know what I do to upset them either :cry:
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:41 pm

I wouldn't wait if you want to check them out, especially if you're using whatever anti-virus program that's failed you in the past. You can uninstall whatever you have now (either through the Windows control panel or I'd use Revo uninstaller, which is a free download.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:42 pm

Yeah but I need extra money first. I know the programs are cheap but I'm unemployed and moving soon.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:44 pm

All of the programs that Darkil and I mentioned are free. You can just download them all off the internet. That's part of what makes them great.

Wolf Bird

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:46 pm

Ooooo Sweet! I like free programs :D
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:52 pm

They do have paid versions, but most of the paid versions have extra features that a home computer user wouldn't really need and are intended more for businesses and colleges with big networks. But here are links...

Ad-aware free
Spybot
AVG free

Wolf Bird

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:56 pm

Awesome. Thank you :hyper:
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation