This is what I hate about computer games...

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

This is what I hate about computer games...

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 6, '09, 11:04 pm

Have a look: http://s5.tinypic.com/311sady.jpg

One of the things I can't stand about computer games is that they get all wonky on newer machines. Either they don't run, they run way to fast, or they do weird stuff like that. At least console games can still be played with no hassle ten years later.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Fri Mar 6, '09, 11:19 pm

Yes, I have to convert my E-Machines into a legacy system once I have my new one. I've suffered the same error as you have so I can understand your pain. Do you have an older PC that you can use for those type of games?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 6, '09, 11:27 pm

I've managed to cobble together some parts to get an older PC running Windows 98. I haven't actually tried gaming on it yet; I mainly use it for scanning stuff. My scanner's kind of old and doesn't like anything later than Win98.

I should clarify, the screenshot above is not my direct experience; I found it on another site. Though I do have this kind of experience with other games that don't like more modern computers.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hugues » Fri Mar 6, '09, 11:52 pm

If you want to play old Windows games on new hardware the best route to go is through a virtual machine - i.e. Microsoft's free Virtual PC:

It's pretty simple, you:

1) Create a virtual machine
2) Install the OS onto the virtual machine
3) Game on

I recycled all my old PCs once I figured this out.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby LordShibas » Sat Mar 7, '09, 12:12 am

or run them in compatibility mode >_>

Either that or search for patches. Decent game studios release patches for older games that make them run better on current systems. Diablo 2 had problems with this, but a patch was released that fixed the issues.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Mar 7, '09, 2:59 am

Sadly, patches aren't an option when the studio's gone out of business. From my experience, compatibility mode has never worked with much stuff.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sat Mar 7, '09, 2:46 pm

I think I know how you may feel, Thoul. While I may not run into the exact problems you have ((Might and Magic III works just fine on mine. Maybe it's because it's a PAL version?)), I still do experience some compatability issues thanks to Windows XP.

The main one that's frustrated me is that for games like Quake I and II, they can't even install because they register my OS as Win. NT, which shares the same 'Kernel' as XP.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby hugues » Sun Mar 8, '09, 2:04 pm

DrkTr14ce wrote:The main one that's frustrated me is that for games like Quake I and II, they can't even install because they register my OS as Win. NT, which shares the same 'Kernel' as XP.

That's the kind of thing compatibility mode is *supposed to* fix. However, there are multiple Windows API calls to look-up the version. One (GetVersionEx) returns the compatibility version, the other (VerifyVersionInfo) doesn't. If the installer is checking VerifyVersionInfo then there's no way around it other than a virtual machine.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Return to Tech and Design