Ever had a system die?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Ever had a system die?

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 12, '09, 8:28 pm

Have any of your gaming systems ever given up the ghost and stopped working? If so, what did you do with it: sell it, throw it out, or what? What did you replace it with, if anything?

The only system of mine that has completely croaked was my first NES. I think the dust bunnies got to it, possibly with help from the Game Genie stretching the connector pins. By the time it went out completely, we had already bought one of the top loading later models. It never played the games quite as well, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Thu Feb 12, '09, 9:56 pm

Yes unfortunately the only system that has died on me was my Xbox 360. I'm on my third now but I have an Elite and I have it spaced out with appropriate cooling
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Lemina » Fri Feb 13, '09, 1:14 am

Your....3rd Xbox 360? Shoot, that is one crappily built system.
Uh--My dad's Xbox was the only system that crapped out on me. The rest of my systems are doing really well. Even my N64 is doing just as well as always~

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Darkil » Fri Feb 13, '09, 1:20 am

Well to be fair, I traded in my very first Xbox because I was stupid and put one of those cooling fans on the back of it. Well instead of realling cooling it, it blew in more dust into the system so it started to act a little crazy on me. The 2nd one just died but that's because of my negligence with having a piece of wood close to the back so it overheated pretty quickly. This 3rd one, I learned from my mistakes.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby LordShibas » Fri Feb 13, '09, 2:26 am

I've never actually had a system "die", but I've had some issues with a few. Recently I had one of my Sega Saturns stop reading RAM cartridges. Even though the system was fine and everything else I chose to pitch it since saving on a RAM cart is mandatory for long term save storage on Saturns. Now I only have one Saturn, but it's fine.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Feb 13, '09, 2:36 am

Never had a system totally die on me, but a minor problem here and there. The image quality on the Genesis is a bit staticy, but not overly so and it seems to vary with what cartridge is stuck in it. Wii, no consistent problems. On my PS2, it doesn't like to read PS1 memory cards, which is annoying if I want to play the original Spyro trilogy. Granted, I can probably get through the first Spyro game in a single sitting anymore, but not the other two.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Fri Feb 13, '09, 4:24 am

Yeah one of my four Super Nintendo consoles no longer works. But I haven't gotten around to disposing of it.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 13, '09, 4:38 am

Oh, I forgot to add the fate of my broken NES. It got sold off for parts a couple of years ago after a long time in storage. Hopefully someone somewhere repaired it and got some fun out of it. I kept all the controllers, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Feb 13, '09, 11:11 pm

My Sega Genesis kicked the bucket with its non-existent legs. Last time I tried to play PSIII, it simply wouldn't work at all. :(
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby pitohui » Sun Feb 22, '09, 8:05 am

My first GameCube died a mysterious death. The disc drive started clicking like castanets.

I had my first PlayStation kick the bucket in high school, but I think it might've been my fault. It took a few too many plunges off the edge of the entertainment unit.

My DS Lite has been acting up a bit lately. It'll sometimes refuse to recognize a DS cart, and I've seen some weird screen flickering going on if I put some pressure on the left side of the unit while playing.

My first PlayStation 2 also died, but this is largely because I turned it into a Frankensteinian monster by installing a fliptop to play imports when I was in college. The thing got way too dusty after a couple more years and had to be put down.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Return to Tech and Design