EOTA Artwork - Claire

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

EOTA Artwork - Claire

EOTA Artwork - Claire

View Gallery Page

EOTA Artwork - Claire

Postby Xander » Wed Nov 10, '10, 8:53 pm

Ok so here we are at last, as promised. The first of 2 EOTA related art pieces. Though that's now 3 because I want to do a portrait of this character in addition to the planned revision of Flynn.

So what's her story, for those unfamiliar? Well she started off as just an extra character in some backstory, but took on a full-time role and is now going to be an NPC in EOTA. As for her proper story, here it is in a nutshell:

She's Flynn's childhood friend and a technique prodigy, using them since she was around 12 years old. When her and Flynn were 15 an earthquake hit their home village and her house collapsed on her. However her body was never found in the rubble and Flynn refused to believe she was dead, deciding to set out and find her.
While having found no sign of her for almost 15 years, events both old and new, have led Flynn to believe she may not only be alive but may be living amongst the Espers.

Anyway, all that aside this is my third piece of CG colouring. I'm actually quite pleased with the result too, if I may say so. :D
Last edited by Xander on Wed Nov 10, '10, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: EOTA Artwork - Claire

Postby H-Man » Thu Nov 11, '10, 12:10 am

The coloring is good and I like the clothes. The main problem is the arms, which are short. The arms, when hanging down, should go down close to the knee (give or take a few inches of course). Hers seem to go down to the upper end of her buttocks.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Jack Lias » Thu Nov 11, '10, 2:23 am

That's a beautiful piece of artwork, Xander. Coloring included. The only problem I have is that, well... her hand seems a little too small. It might just be me and my comparing her hand to my large, gargantuan hand.
Last edited by Jack Lias on Thu Nov 11, '10, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Nov 11, '10, 5:57 am

Ah, Claire is lovely! She has a very kind and compassionate face, and you can also see it in her eyes. You've drawn her very well, Xander! Actually, seeing your drawing of her first made me want to learn more about her and thus read your EOTA stories, and now she's become one of my fave characters. Love the outfit she has on here. Also, one thing that drew my attention right off is her hair and the " heart " shape in her bangs....very nice effect there.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Xander » Thu Nov 11, '10, 3:56 pm

Ugh, can't draw worth a damn today. I bloody well hate it. maybe 8 failed attempts and nothing. It's like I spent everything over the last 2 days. >< But this one reminds me I don't need to constantly churn this stuff out every single day. :p

I will give you the complaint about the hand. Hands are not my strong point and finding tutorials on how to draw them is hard. DeviantArt has plenty, but the damn things are still hard to do. :D

The head thing; yeah I'll agree with you there. Though I will say that it's only a little long by a very tiny bit. If I was somehow able to shrink it just a little bit it would be perfect.

Anyway, don't all reply at once guys. :roll: I'm going to go knock out another CG practice piece from some olde lineart. At least then I'll have done something. :p

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 11, '10, 8:27 pm

Don't worry, we all have off days. Mayne if you take a break, you'll find yourself refreshed for the task. :)

The coloring looks great; I can really see how you're progressing with that. You'll be doing it like a pro in no time if you keep this up! :)

I was going to comment on the hand size, but I see that's been addressed already. In regard to the arms, I don't think they are too short. I do however thing the lower torso might be a just bit too long, which places the hips lower and gives the impression of the arms being a little short. However, this could just be the robe; robes do tend to be baggy and hang a bit loose, so maybe my perception is off.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Xander » Thu Nov 11, '10, 9:02 pm

Indeed. I've decided it's just an off day today. I've been here before but it bugs me everytime it happens. :D

Thoul wrote:I do however thing the lower torso might be a just bit too long, which places the hips lower and gives the impression of the arms being a little short. However, this could just be the robe; robes do tend to be baggy and hang a bit loose, so maybe my perception is off.

Yeah I saw that too, but I wasn't sure if it's right or not. It's hard to tell for some reason.

But despite all the flaws, I actually find this piece growing on me somehow. Maybe because it's original art or something, but I think it's awesome. Then again, I wasn't so happy with my old Flynn art. :D

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Qara » Sun Nov 21, '10, 3:40 am

she looks very protective as a guardian probably would look. nice dress and cape. any significance to the 3 pieces of jewelry hanging from her cape string?
Qara
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 53

Postby Xander » Sun Nov 21, '10, 10:58 am

Qara wrote:she looks very protective as a guardian probably would look. nice dress and cape. any significance to the 3 pieces of jewelry hanging from her cape string?

Ah-ha! Someone finally gets it. Have a cookie. :D Mind you the reduced image size makes it hard to tell.

Anyway, the 4 gemstones represent the planets of Algo. So we have Rykros, Palma, Motavia and Dezoris.
I added them just for decoration but if Aero wants them to have any meaning within EOTA, he can do what he likes. ;)

But otherwise, they add a little extra colour to the picture. As I mentioned earlier, along with Flynn, Claire is going to be getting a lot more artwork in the near future, so keep yer eyes peeled.
Last edited by Xander on Sun Nov 21, '10, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Return to Artwork