EOTA Artwork - Claire Revision

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

View Gallery Page

Postby Xander » Mon Nov 29, '10, 6:17 pm

As the title implies, this is a revised version of my earlier Claire artwork. As much as I loved it, there was a lot that either didn't turn out right or could have done with an update. So here we go.

Nothing too fancy here with the pose, I tried working her into a 3/4 view but I either need more practice or just suck at it, so I went for something simpler. But seeing how it's a revision, fair enough. :p

Next up is either more Flynn art, or maybe some Rika fanservice...or something else. I dunno, I'm having a crappy day today as far as drawing is concerned but also need to try and push a little harder for improving.
Last edited by Xander on Mon Nov 29, '10, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: EOTA Artwork - Claire Revision

Postby H-Man » Mon Nov 29, '10, 6:18 pm

This looks like a big step forward from the last one in terms of body proportions. Doesn't she look like the motherly one?
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Nov 29, '10, 6:45 pm

Dude, you're a machine.

Keep it up. Enthusiasm = good.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Xander » Mon Nov 29, '10, 7:09 pm

Thank you. :)

Funnily enough I've been going through a lot of fan artwork and other artwork to see how I can improve my drawing and colouring. For colouring, it seems to help out more than most cell shading tutorials which are usually very brief and not all that helpful. Oh what I would do for some lessons on the matter. ^^

Anyway, I remembered that Claire is only a support character, so I'll be drawing more art of Flynn. Hopefully with plenty improvements and such. I've got a pose for the next one worked out so here's hoping it goes as planned. :p

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 30, '10, 4:34 am

Although I thought the other one was pretty great, I have to admit that this one is even better! I like how you've drawn her hands and arms here, also the changes you've made to her gown/cape, etc., and the added lines below the neck (collarbone, I think it is). Great work and detail! :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lucas » Tue Nov 30, '10, 8:15 am

She reminds me a lot of the “Mage” in the early Final Fantasy games. Love her design and the colouring; well done Xander.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Solar » Tue Nov 30, '10, 7:24 pm

Yeah, definitely a White Mage though.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Xander » Tue Nov 30, '10, 8:12 pm

Glad you like it folks. Makes the frustrations of getting here worthwhile. :p I'm trying to gradually move away from drawing so many lines for the shaded areas such as all but the heaviest folds.
I'm also currently experimenting with drawing more realistic eyes, though it's taking some time because it's almost like going back to the start again. :D But then this is how I managed the model painting, a combination of tutorials and looking at other works to see how it's done.

Anyway, blah blah blah. Regardless of what I said before, maybe once I get better at drawing and colouring I'll revisit Claire and apply my new learning. I know I would love to develop her artwork more.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Wed Dec 1, '10, 3:25 am

She needs more definition between her waist and her hips, but I really like the design of her outfit. Did you come up with that yourself? Also, I think she would benefit from a background that's not blue or white. Something more contrasting would really help her stand out.

If I can offer a minor style suggestion: I really like her jewels on her cape, but I would make the middle one longer for a more flattering look. V-shapes around the neck area usually create an appealing look. (Sorry, I sew and have created a few of my own clothing designs. I pick up on design elements really easily.)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Wed Dec 1, '10, 9:33 am

Hmmm. Nice ideas for the clothing. :D I'll definitely bear those in mind next time. A V neck sounds like a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it before. I'll need to lookup some references for the new version. It would certainly be easier to draw in for one thing. Drawing the rounded neckline took a while because of the shape and symmetry.

The outfit is my own design, though I referred to some compendium pics of Rune to make sure I drew the hood on correctly.

As for the waist, that's my bad. I drew down to her waist, added the belt and then the rest instead of drawing it as one piece like I should have. >< Thanks for pointing it out. Well if anything at least I have a reason to draw her again. :p But for now, it's Flynn's turn for some more artwork.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Artwork